• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grovery bags -- Paper or Plastic?

foodie52

I just use my purse :biggrin: As the mother of a two year old, I'm lugging around a bag the size of a small carry-on, and cram my day's produce beside the sippy cups, extra sweater, discarded toys etc. The checkers at the natural foods store in our town don't blink, but at the Raley's (lk Albertsons) they honestly look shocked.

Otherwise I really, really try to do the canvas bag thing. My husband goes to lots of tech conferences and I told him no more t-shirts, just grab the nice bags. O'Reilly did one last year that's my absolute favorite; it's folded and stitched at the bottom to be square, so it opens up to a cube shape. The re-usable route is best navigated with LOTS of bags, kept in the backseat of the car. I'm just not organized to remember to bring a bag every time I shop, but usually think of it as I'm parking and reach back to bring a few with me.

Still, I end up with both plastic and paper bags. The plastic bags usually come from purchases at the hospice thrift store and back they go, about once a month. At Trader Joe's I am weak, and let them pack my groceries in the brown paper bags, mostly because I'm getting so much stuff. But some of those bags get used for carrying out paper recycling, the others get opened up, turned around and used to wrap the books and ebay stuff I sell. Hardly any bags end up in our regular garbage, so I figure I'm doing OK

Oh my goodness! Two customers have shown up with the most amazing LL Bean bags I have ever seen. BIG and heavy canvas, they are like large cartons with handles. How do they get them to stay so stiff??? The one customer told me that hers was 15 years old...the other customer has had his LL Bean bag for 30 yeaesrs!

I want one. I need one...

2. sorted her groceries on the belt according to wet/dry, heavy/light.

Is that weird? I always do that. :unsure:

I also have my master grocery list on my desktop, sorted by category/aisle. Maybe I am a nutcase. :wacko:

I always sort, too. I figure it helps whoever is bagging, and ensures the best possible treatment of my groceries. Master list on the computer by category and aisle, too - that makes my trips to the market go much more quickly and easily.

Not weird - just very well organized. :smile:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I work at a farmer's market on the weekend and bring my plastic bags with me to reuse for our customers.

I also make a point of putting heavy or sturdy items in one bag and lighter or delicate items in another. This is to avoid the inevitable smushing of lighter/delicate items during the car ride home.

I also count back the change. Many customers thank me for doing so and comment on how few people do that today. I guess it is just another lost art.

On the other hand, I hoard my paper bags that have handles on them. They are perfect for sending home art projects my students have created. These bags are also great at the end of the school year to send home all the work, projects, etc. that never got sent home during the previous eight months.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

2. sorted her groceries on the belt according to wet/dry, heavy/light.

Is that weird? I always do that. :unsure:

I also have my master grocery list on my desktop, sorted by category/aisle. Maybe I am a nutcase. :wacko:

I always sort, too. I figure it helps whoever is bagging, and ensures the best possible treatment of my groceries. Master list on the computer by category and aisle, too - that makes my trips to the market go much more quickly and easily.

Not weird - just very well organized. :smile:

Not weird at all. I do the same thing.

I put my grocery list on my PDA and if I'm feeling like it, I tap in the price of the item as I'm crossing it off the list. Makes it easy to find errors on the receipt before I leave the store.

As for putting the coins on top of the 3' long receipt, which is on top of the bills, I HATE that. And I always, always, ALWAYS suggest to the casheir that they give people their coins first, then the bills and then the receipt. Yeah, it might take and extra second or two, but it sure beats annoying the customer who is spilling change all over the place while being shuffled off so the next customer can get through the line.

I used to work at a grain elevator/feed mill and had to make change in my head. Then I'd count it back to the customer the 'old-fashioned' way. I can't tell you how many farmers were impressed with my ability to do that. What a sad state of affairs when people are impressed with a college student who can count. :unsure:

Sherri A. Jackson

Luckily, I am involved with a group that runs a haunted house. Paper bags are used for papier mache, the white plastic ones are used as a neat little decoration tricks, the off color plastic bags are made into temporary gloves (usually when handling paint or papier mache) or trash bags. Although 3 of the 4 stores I go to do have plastic bag recycling bins right inside the front door.

We use the plastic ones at home for trash bags in the car, the bathroom, the office, and I'll double bag the funky liquidy leftovers that have to be thrown out so I don't get nicked by the biological weapon police.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.