• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25

Ray's has it posted on their website and I think some other participating restaurants are also publisizing it, but I haven't seen any official announcement yet. NWsource.com was the main promoter the last couple of times, but no word yet on their site.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks for the link Mr. Toast. I love this promotion.

Argh, after seeing Malarkey's post about the promotion running only Sun-Thurs (love that fine print), Mr. GC and I are going to eat at Vivanda on Sun. Nov. 9.

Anyone who has this restaurant on their list, please join us!

edit: because I'm a bonehead and didn't notice the promotion runs on weeknights only. duh.

Edited by girl chow (log)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Etta's menu sounds great... but I think my first try needs to be Nell's. here's their menu:

Starter choices:

Sweet Onion Tart with Artichoke Chips

Red Beet Salad with Green Apples

Entrée choices:

Pan Seared Steelhead with Parsnips

Duck Confit with White Beans

Saffron and Leek Risotto

Dessert choices:

Apple Tart with Brown Sugar Ice Cream

Chocolate Pot de Crème

Born Free, Now Expensive

here's the Etta's menu:

Starter choices:

Smoked Coho Salmon with Organic Potatoes

Wedge of Iceberg with Oregon Blue Cheese

Entrée choices:

Rub-with-love Salmon, Cornbread Pudding

Idaho Rainbow Trout with Potato Cake

Dessert choices:

Triple Coconut Cream Pie << :wub:

Chocolate Tart with Hazelnut Anglaise

Born Free, Now Expensive

Most of the restaurants have their menus posted on their respective pages at nwsource.com it appears.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Brasa's isn't, but I just got this emailed:

1st Course: Choose one...

Pumpkin Gnocchi, brown butter, sage, hazelnuts

Moroccan curried mussels

Hummus plate, house made pita

Watercress, pears, pine nuts, white truffle oil

Mixed greens, sherry-shallot vinaigrette

Spinach salad, house-cured bacon, shiitake mushrooms, sherry-shallot vinaigrette

2nd Course: Choose one...

Petit filet, Spanish Bleu cheese butter, mashed potatoes, green chili demi glace

Portuguese fish stew, fin fish, shellfish, saffron potatoes

Suckling pig, chorizo, manila clams, smoked paprika, bay scented potato

Pleated Ravioli, aged Fontina Val d'Aosta, porcini jus

3rd Course: Choose one...

Cheese plate

Apple tart, Vanilla ice cream

Frozen lemon mousse

Profiteroles, caramel syrup

(They are also having a dinner with Armandino Batali on November 19 - $65.)

5 of us tried Vivanda for lunch today:

http://dreadnought.gorgorg.org/~kalana/wik...vandaRistorante

Among the 5 of us, we tried all of the choices for starter (mixed greens or caeser salad), main course (lemon sole, lamb sandwich, or spinach ravioli), and dessert (panna cotta, mandarin orange sorbetti, pink grapefruit sorbetti). I had the mixed greens, sole, and panna cotta. The salad was a standard baby-green-salad-mix topped with sparse but excellent goat cheese, hazelnuts, and dried cherries. The olive oil / balsamic vinegar dressing was a little more oily and less vinegary than I would like (especially with the rich goat cheese), but the tart cherries partially made up for that. The sole was a bit dry around the edges, but the flavor was excellent, and the buttery/lemony sauce complemented the mild fish and bitter radicchio it was served on top of. The panna cotta was excellent; creamy without being too rich. The tart, fruity (passion fruit, I think) sauce it was surrounded with was also a very nice addition.

had dinner last night at Nell's.

had the onion tart w/artichoke chips, which was fabulous. this was paired with an Oregon Pinot Gris.

had the duck confit with white beans. Absolutely lovely. the confit was perfect. so, the dish was sorta like a decontructed cassoulet. really tasty, served with a Washington cab-merlot. DP had the pan-seared steelhead w/parsnips. Very Good, but the duck was better ;-)

dessert WAS going to be the apple crisp, but they informed us it had just gone in the oven and wouldn't be out for another half-hour, so we chose desserts off their regular menu.

I had a fig tart with beaumes-de-venise ice cream. Nice, especially the ice cream, but I liked what my dining partner had better: a pear upside down cake with caramel. whoa, really great. we both had glasses of Beaumes-de-Venise wine to go with.

I noticed their menu indicated that this particular 25/25 menu was for this week. perhaps it will be changing next week?

Born Free, Now Expensive

It did change, because we went last night. This week's menu (sorry, not very specific) is salad vs cream of celeriac soup, ahi tuna vs pork loin, and gingerbread with persimmon ice cream vs red wine-poached pear.

This didn't appeal to me nearly as much as last week's, so I went off-menu and nabbed that onion tart (good filling, soggy phyllo crust) and some lovely braised pork cheeks with parsnips and mustard greens. I skipped dessert.

So call ahead and see what the current menu has to offer, because they're obviously changing it around a lot.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I have just returned from a lovely lunch at 727 Pine with Blue Heron and heyjude. I had the Kobe beef, which was so flavorful and tender. Also perfectly cooked to my specification of the rare side of medium rare, with a great crust on the outside. It's served with some pretty unexciting "red rice" and nicely grilled eggplant and haricots verts. My appetizer was an excellent crab salad. Blue Heron had the salmon, which is served with squash (I couldn't tell what type). She liked this very much. Her appetizer was a delicious celery root soup containing pieces of Smithfield ham. It was delicious; I think it uses LOTS of cream. Heyjude was a troublemaker and ordered the lovely Seafood Cobb Salad from the regular menu.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Anyone want to try The Georgian for dinner next week?

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Girl Chow, how was Brasa? Did you make it there last weekend? A girlfriend and I are planning on heading there this Sunday night...that menu does indeed look *good.*

We haven't made it to Brasa yet -- OR any other 25 for $25 restaurant this month. Doh! Instead, we went local last weekend and ate at the fabulous Paolo's Ristorante in Kent .... and paid another visit to Indochine in Federal Way (which I don't think is as good as Noodle Boat ....but that's a whole other thread and PM discussion w/MsRamsey, Tighe and Mamster :)

I would really like to make it to a 25 for $25 restaurant for dinner, but my schedule sucks. I think I'll have better luck doing lunch next Tuesday or Thursday if anyone is organizing a $12.50 lunch outing. :)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I might be organizing lunch at Earth & Ocean at 1PM next Thursday (the 20th). Anyone interested?

Thursday isn't great, but it is a possibility.

How was the Waterfront?

Gov. Schwarzenegger.