• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Wine Camp: Dancing Lessons

Fat Guy

Craig Camp's dirty little secret revealed: he's a recovering match-aholic.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

this is the false kind of argument that always gets trotted out about food and wine matching, the implication being that it's a high stress activity with everyone in search of perfection. Yet no-one would dream of criticising someone who was trying to season some basic ingredient they were cooking with the flavours that complimented it best. I agree with Craig that wine is not some sacred substance that mustn't be abused but merely one ingredient in the enjoyment of a meal.

The example he gives about 4 red wines with steak is a bit of a cheat since a simply grilled steak has to be the easiest thing to match with any red wine. But if that steak was in a Thai beef salad the wine choice would matter a lot more (I'd move away from reds entirely as a matter of fact)

That's not to say it's wrong to drink red in those circumstances - or Yquem for that matter - just that there are wines that are potentially more enjoyable. Of course there's disagreement about that - people haven't had the chance to experience different food and wine combinations in the same way they may not have tried different foods. Many people would find Thai food unpalatable if they hadn't tried its hot/sour/sweet range of flavours before. You wouldn't serve it to nervous friends just as you wouldn't impose your more adventurous wine choices on them.

I suppose I would argue this as I have a website on food and wine matching (www.foodandwinematching.co.uk for those of you matchaholics out there) but I like to think it's suggestive not prescriptive. One of this months suggestions is Krug (or any champagne) with Krispy Kreme doughnuts. And why not?

Edited by feebee (log)

I prefer Dunkin' Donuts crullers with Krug. I think you'll find Krispy Kreme doughnuts are too sweet for that match. A better bubbly for KK would be Billecart-Salmon Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon Rose. Just my two cents.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Salmon roe with crullers??

ack.

And I become very relaxed with wine... especially after the second bottle.

(sorry, cheap shot, couldn't resist)

Seriously though, I see a growing variety of wines in reasonable price ranges here in my little corner of the fly over zone. I think that availability is bound to encourage people to experiment. For example, I bought a very reasonably priced bottle of Viognier today. Not something I've tried before, or even seen on the shelf, but there it was so what the heck. And while I'm talking to the experts... any suggestions as to what to serve with it? I think it's traditionally paired with seafood but I'm wondering what it's range is.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

For example,  I bought a very reasonably priced bottle of Viognier today.  Not something I've tried before, or even seen on the shelf, but there it was so what the heck.  And while I'm talking to the experts... any suggestions as to what to serve with it?  I think it's traditionally paired with seafood but I'm wondering what it's range is.

It can be a broad range. As it was reasonably priced we will assume it is not Condrieu - the undisputed champ of viognier.

Your wine is probably broad and soft with a good dose of tropical fruit. Besides seafood - chicken and oriental food (not too spicy) should be lovely.