• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines with dinner

Florida Jim

With a seafood stew in red sauce (Mahi-mahi, shrimp and scallops) and a Caesar salad:

1999 Siduri, Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley:

Despite its 14% alcohol this wine captures its Oregon origins with crisp, cranberry scents and flavors backed with dark fruit, forest floor and spice nuances. No discernable heat or wood, plenty of cut but just a bit short; this wine was very good with the stew.

1999 Alain Michaud, Brouilly Cuvee Prestige:

Expansive aromatics of black cherry, mineral and smoldering leaves – all very nicely integrated but still discreet enough to identify lead to a palate of black cherry and red cherry tones with a solid mineral streak and a little spice and smoke. Excellent intensity and concentration without any sense of weight. A long, structured finish reminds me that I should let the rest of my bottles of this sleep awhile. Very good with the meal.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com