• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Tasting

GordonCooks

As I drink more and more, I find that my general attitude towards wine is changing dramatically. I used to be a wine optimist - I wanted to love every bottle, every glass,every sip...

But now, as I read, drink, and compare more, I have become a wine pessimist. Someone who takes more pleasure into discovering or a flaw or inferiority. I hope this is just a temporary condition- I don't wish to be one of those old guys who poo-poos everything he drinks unless it's from his private cellar of ancient, dead Burgundies

Gordon:

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's only twice as big as it needs to be.

I'm a REALIST... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I find myself split. On the one hand, I find myself more pessimistic about highly-regarded bottles, because these bottles tend to be compared, in my mind, to the best bottles I have had (for instance, every good Hermitage I drink I can't help but compare to a particular memory of a 1990 Hermitage La Chapelle.) One the other hand, I find that when I discover a new wine, either a new varietal or an existing varietal in a new region, my excitement is greater than it used to be because I can genuinely appreciate this new wine and the wine is a genuine surprise.

My recommendation is to constantly try old and new wines from different regions. If you only focus on one type of wine (red Bordeaux, for instance) each bottle can only suffer in comparison to a greater number of previously tasted wines.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

My recommendation is to constantly try old and new wines from different regions.  If you only focus on one type of wine (red Bordeaux, for instance) each bottle can only suffer in comparison to a greater number of previously tasted wines.

It's not so much my wine knowledge - I have to ask myself if I'm really enjoying wine more now as an educated type person or before as a novice.

Some people ask me why I like to read about wine so much. I basically tell them "It helps me find 20.00 bottles that drink like 75.00 bottles" I guess I'm just cheap.