• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Company (Hoboken NJ)

johnkfretz

Company

86 garden street Hoboken, NJ 07030 Ph:201.798.7600 Fx:201.798.8558

I had a meal there when they first opened. I must say I was a little disappointed with the menu.

I think the restaurant was going with an Asian - Soul Food Fusion theme. Has anyone eaten there recently, and if so has it gotten better?

Thanks

John

• 2 weeks later...

Have only gone for brunch a few times. It's good, and the homemade bread is fantastic. Definitely better than most of the brunch options in town. Have had a few problems (cheese in the omelette when I requested they leave it out, tip added to a check without informing us, things that seemed to be freebies magically showing up on the check, practically raw fried onions...) and the vibe isn't quite as warm as I would expect from a place called Company with a comfort food slant.

I'm told lunch is quite good and is acceptably priced (as is lunch) but the dinner menu is priced very high and everything is a la carte. I haven't heard any glowing reviews about dinner.

"tip added to a check without informing us, things that seemed to be freebies magically showing up on the check,"

Not a good policy. There are too many places in Hoboken and Jersey City for the dining public to go to that don't pull these stunts. Was the "tip added" phrase on the menu?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

the design is very simple clean and modern. i love that the space is warm and sunny for brunch and sleek and sexy at night with the candles and 60'ies overtones. it is refreshing by hoboken standards. i appreciate that they stepped away from the same dark wood motif that practically every place uses in that town.

i heard the brunch chef (FCI grad) has moved up to dinner. i thought brunch was awesome. not the same old same old. buttermilk biscuits thick cut bacon, cheese grits, who does this? and standards, revamped eggs benedict (w/ the biscuits) and french toast out of panatone bread. waffles w riccotta and figs.

anyway dinner is better and less expensive than the previous seasons menu, and they are less ala carte. mains for $15 and a great tasting menu three course for $15 tue-thurs 5-7:30pm

how many people at the table may have triggered the tip to be included. i would recommend a trip back for those who may have felt it was just ok, because it is one of hobokens better experiences.

There are too many places in Hoboken and Jersey City for the dining public to go to that don't pull these stunts. ..

Between the 2 illustrious cities, my count hasn't gotten past 1 finger.

I'm a big believer in talking to your customers -- so even if there's a note about included gratuity for large groups printed in the menu, your server should still remind the guest when the bill is presented. In all fairness, I should have mentioned that our waiter on that occasion was brand new.

You're absolutely right, Food67. Can't get cheese grits anywhere else in Hoboken. But while the bacon was perfect the first time, it was greasy and stiff the second. I didn't like the french toast at all (and with their amazing homemade bread, why use panettone???) The homemade breakfast sausage tasted like cardboard and sage. But the deviled eggs were out of this world and there was a very nice spinach salad. My opinion is clearly limited to experience at brunch, I admit. I'll get over there for dinner.

I definitely think that Company could be an important addition to Hoboken. For all the restaurants and all the people, it's still pretty dire around here. The newest restaurant is a friggin Wolfgang Puck Express and there's a big place opening on the waterfront that looks like it's aiming to be an after-work meat market. Company could easily become my favorite place in town if it either got more exciting or went whole hog with the comfort theme. As for brunch at this point, I'd rather sit at the counter at La Isla and get their fluffy pancakes and crisp bacon for 1/3 the price. The coffee's way better there too.