• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aussie Wine

beans

Aussie Wines

Some rep dropped off three different 250ml (about a Red Bull size and shape) of Aussie Wine. There is a 2003 Sweet White (10% by Alc./Vol.) that is 64% Gordo, 28% Gewurztraminer and 8% Frontignac; a 2002 Chardonnay (13.6% by Alc./Vol.) and a 2002 Cabernet Shiraz (13.8% by Alc./Vol.) that is a blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon and 30% Shiraz.

These four little cans come packaged in a box and are produced by Woomba Wines P/L from varieties sourced from premium growing areas in South Eastern Australia.

Any experience? Interest? I haven't opened or tasted them yet.

Is this one of those things that fall into a fine line between clever and stupid? :biggrin:

Edited by beans (log)

Beans:

I think "Southeastern Australia" is the Oz equivalent of "Central Valley" California. HUGE production agribusiness level grape growing (or should I say, overcropping) and enormous yields per acre that end up in non-descript jug wines of all stripes. That's not to say there aren't some fine producers there, but I think you get the drift of what I'm saying.

The can thing is clever, but I suspect it might leave a "tinny" taste in the wine. Let me know if I'm right about that when you gather the courage to pop the top on one of those bad boys! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh, I opened and tasted fearlessly.

Very "neutral." Pear, vanilla and some butter in palate with the Chardonnay. The butter comes along a tad more with breathing and increased improper wine glass holding (warmth by hand). Not oaky. Surprisingly light, which would please the Pinot Grigio drinker my mother has become. I see some future if the market allows a canned wine. No taste of tin. (I distitnctly remember the old orange juices in the can that was more can than OJ).

Thanks Katie. I was beginning to worry that this uncanny product was as obscure as a new wine allowed into the state of oHIo! :biggrin:

Maybe tomorrow I'll open up the Cabernet Shiraz and give it a whirl. My fear is the Sweet White! I don't think I'll ever understand that!

Beans:

I think "Southeastern Australia" is the Oz equivalent of "Central Valley" California.  HUGE production agribusiness level grape growing (or should I say, overcropping) and enormous yields per acre that end up in non-descript jug wines of all stripes.  That's not to say there aren't some fine producers there, but I think you get the drift of what I'm saying.

The can thing is clever, but I suspect it might leave a "tinny" taste in the wine.  Let me know if I'm right about that when you gather the courage to pop the top on one of those bad boys!  :biggrin:

Katie,

Agree with you about the possibility of tinny wines. My experience of drinking beer at my parents house (which tends to be 2 or 3 years past its best before date) is that they pick up a nasty metallic taste. But then again I suspect that if you kept these tinned wines for too long that they would probably not benefit. Are they in an inert environment and capable of surviving a nuclear attack?

As for Souteastern Australia, I have a feeling that this means that the majority of the grapes can come from SE Oz but a certain amount can come from other areas of Oz. I can't remember which wine it is (Penfolds of Jacobs C I think) that is labelled SE Oz but also has grapes coming in from NSW.

Aw rats. I was hoping for anyone to read the following, along with my tiny tasting note. (No I don't work for anything associated with them, nor am I a good trooper of whites, in general. Give me a hearty zinfadel anyday!)

Aussie Wine is the result of two years research and development with a wine taint prevention process used, while the lining on the inside of the environmentally friendly and easily disposable cans eliminates any "tinny taste." Additionally, the can is liquid nitrogen charged at the point of sealing, ensuring complete freshness each and every time.

We began distributing these wines in NJ as well as NY at the beginning of the month. We received a very positive reaction to them, although there was some fear, at our Grand Tasting in NJ in Sept. Our marketing ideas are for beach resorts, golf club bev carts, picnics, etc.

I tasted the wines back in the summer and I was as sceptical as any fine wine lover would be. They are all sound, not thrilling and anything we can do to bring new wine consumers on board is a positive.

There is no tinny taste as the cans are lined.

We have also introed Two Tone Farms (screw cap) this month and will intro Black Box (premium bag in the box) wines in Nov.

I hope all of these wines will help bring more wine consumers to our business as well as to the world of wine.

Edited by Phil Ward (log)
I have never met a miserly wine lover