• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drought

Fat Guy

The latest drought news is that the unseasonably warm weather, together with the regulations against use of water to wash down the sidewalks, is making sidewalk dining all but impossible--despite the appropriate weather.  Apparently it "stinks" out there.

it never dawned on me that washing the sidewalk was necessary for sidewalk dining.  in fact, when i first heard of the ban on washing sidewalks, i could only picture the idiot across the street from me who would spend hours squirting the sidewalk in front of his apartment building.  all the time, splash mud and stuff up onto any car that happened to be parked there...including mine.

I can't help but look around at this unseasonable heat with no small measure of dread. I know that Ontario farmers have been worried about drought because of the low snowfall. I know also that much of the water for New York state and others of your United and Heavily Armed States comes from Ontario and Quebec.

We're friends, right? Right? We'll remember that twenty years from now, won't we? :confused:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Oh dear, at the risk of offending our more proper readers, I remember visiting LA and being advised to....avert thine eyes, delicate creatures....

"If it's yellow, let it mellow..."

I can't go on. No, no...I can't.   :wink:

Oh dear, at the risk of offending our more proper readers, I remember visiting LA and being advised to....avert thine eyes, delicate creatures....

"If it's yellow, let it mellow..."

I can't go on. No, no...I can't.   :wink:

ha ha haheeeho.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Oh, come on, it's the third page of this topic, I'm sure that certain someone is not reading (besides I just heard of this for the first time, it was on a sign in a bathroom (in a private home) in an episode of HBO's Six Feet Under):

"If it's yellow, let it be mellow. If it's brown, flush it down!"

The latest drought news is that the unseasonably warm weather, together with the regulations against use of water to wash down the sidewalks, is making sidewalk dining all but impossible--despite the appropriate weather.  Apparently it "stinks" out there.

Don't you love "news"?  I could hardly walk down the street last night for people in shorts munching dinner on the sidewalk.  What nonsense.

And Liza, those secretions again - you just can't leave them alone, can you?   :wink:

I'm a doctor's daughter. You should have heard the dinner table conversation.

AND, my dad used to throw blood on the roses - either as a composting agent, or because he's a really weird guy.

We got this dried blood at the garden center last year. It is supposed to be a really good fertilizer and keep away animals. Well the veggies loved it, but so did insects. Flies were buzzing around whereever it was distributed, and they came back after it rained and I guess rehydrated the stuff. But at least it doesn't smell as bad as the organic fish emulsion.

After a week of dining in New York (April 7-14), I thought I'd add my two drops to the drought thread.

My tap water was refilled much more often at the casual/cheap restaurants than at the high end spots.  I always drink tap water (often as my only beverage).

At Lupa the server poured a small glass and told me to "let her know if" I wanted a refill.  She refilled it once, when I asked.  I also drank Pellegrino aranciata, as it was a warm day and it's one of my favorite drinks, so I wasn't as parched as I would have been otherwise.

Gramercy Tavern, seated at the bar: I finished the glass of cider I ordered.  Water was never offered.  I requested tap water with my dessert, and the bartender gave me a very small glass that he did not refill.

Craftbar seemed normal; I drank one glass of wine, and my water glass was refilled as needed.

Our waitress at Sripraphai refilled glasses frequently; clearly, she didn't think we could handle even non-Thai spicy.

Oh, at Artisanal they offered "ice water" rather than "tap water," which I guess sounds slightly more classy.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

One real drought related question: if mosquitos thrive in wet weather, then why are they still thriving in dry lower Manhattan?

Haven't you ever noticed the puddles of "mystery moisture" in NYC streets even after 2 or 3 weeks of no rain?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak