• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oysters

snausages2000

You see that you're actually agreeing with yourself, right?

Wow. I could have sworn the post I was quoting was from Juuceman. I was wondering why our experiences seemed so similar. I'm sure my post is arguably one of the stupidest posts of the year. :wacko:

I guess that's what happens when a four year old thread is resurrected.

*doh*

I stand by the Oyster Bar recommendation, though.

The best oysters I've ever had in NYC, other than at sushi bars and Sugiyama, were at Shaffer City in Chelsea. I recall that they were reasonably priced, but this is before restaurant prices all seemed to jump a few years ago. Perhaps someone who's been there more recently can cooberate, like yourself tomorrow.

But yeah, they had a wide variety, Atlantic and Pacific, all were incredibly fresh - now they charge $2 a piece. Oysters is one thing I don't want to skimp much on.

http://www.shaffercity.com/

Edited by raji (log)

The best oysters I've ever had in NYC, other than at sushi bars and Sugiyama, were at Shaffer City in Chelsea. I recall that they were reasonably priced, but this is before restaurant prices all seemed to jump a few years ago. Perhaps someone who's been there more recently can cooberate, like yourself tomorrow.

But yeah, they had a wide variety, Atlantic and Pacific, all were incredibly fresh - now they charge $2 a piece. Oysters is one thing I don't want to skimp much on.

http://www.shaffercity.com/

I think shaffer city is okay. just that.

I had some perfect oysers at petrossian the other day...I bet they were really expensive...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.