• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calif. Grape Glut Eases

Craig Camp

I heard about the grape glut last year but I never saw it reflected in the prices at the many vinyards I visited in Napa (just moved here a year ago).  So what is the deal?  Why didn't they lower their prices in the midst of a glut?

The grape glut that has been so widely reported about exists in the Central Coast region. Prices for prime vineyards in Napa Valley have held steady and in many cases risen. Two Buck Chuck is not a Napa wine.

Mark

There is no real glut of good grapes, from vines more than a few years old, from good vineyards, in good regions (including the central coast). The glut is of newly planted vines in marginal areas (i.e., the central valley).

"Charles Shaw" is made by Bronco, which is owned by a Franzia (don't know if Franzia is still owned by a Franzia, but the connection is clear enough).

Having said that the Chuck is "drinkable", I feel I need to qualify that statement. The reds are drinkable, and even interesting, in the sense that they illuminate the charateristics of wine that are easy to fabricate cheaply. These are obviously exaggerated in the Chuck, to compensate for the low quality of the grapes.

On reflection, the whites are not, in fact, drinkable. The sauvignon blanc tastes like a Heathbar that melted in a pile of sawdust. (american oak sawdust of course). I don't dare try the chard.