• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wagyu in Austin

zephyrus

At culinary school today one of our chef's mentioned The Meat Shop/Harrell Gourmet. It is owned by the same people who own Harrell Ranch, the only American producer of Wagyu beef. (In Jeffrey Steingarten's The Man Who Ate Everything it is the Wagyu beef he mentions that is being developed at Texas A&M) I ventured up to the shop after class today and purchased 2 1/3 lbs of Wagyu ribeyes for 75.00, much cheaper than lobels( even without the shipping). Am eating it tomorrow so will report back on the quality then(it loks nearly identical if not a bit a slightly better red color).

The Meat Shop also sells their own Harrel Ranch dry aged Prime Beef. They are located across from Lanier high school at 948 Peyton Gin Road which is about a 1 mile north of 183. If anyone would like me to fax them a copy of their product list please PM me.

Cheers,

Casey

p.s. their phone number is 512.837.6331 (I would call ahead before driving just to make sure that they have Wagyu in stock as the gentleman who helped me said that they do periodically run out.

We've gotten nice stuff quite a few times at The Meat Shop, including the Wagyu, which we did on the grill with a nice herbed crust (the whole business wrapped in foil as per their instructions). Yum!!!

An odd alien wench

The wagyu was spectacular, i am trying to get this damned digital camera to upload the pictures to my computer and am not having an success. I took many pictures and as will post them very soon.

casey

Edited by zephyrus (log)

• 1 year later...

I will probably check out Harrell soon.

Two or three years ago I went to a pot luck at Patricia's, owner of Sweetish Hill and founder of Portabla, house and met a Japanese couple who grew Japanese beef and supplied it to Portabla. I can't remember if it was Wagyu or Kobe but they were awaiting organic certification at the time. I hope to enquire after them next time I stop in at Portabla or see Patricia again. I'll be sure to report back here.

I started this thread on Wagyu beef in Texas in general. There is a link to some information on Harrell there.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose