• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kamaboko

torakris

Okay, I just bought some chikuwa. When I was in Japan, we were served some simmered kamaboko, including chikuwa, at breakfast, and it was delicious. I was hoping to make this at home but I have no idea what it was. Can anyone help?

What was the kamaboko simmered in? A simple broth, probably a dashi, soy sauce, and mirin mixture of a 15 to 20, 1, 1 ratio (same as oden broth)?

I realized my question is awfully vague--sorry! Yes, it was just a simple broth, and maybe it was just oden broth. That actually occurred to me after I posted my question. Thanks, Hiroyuki--I will try that.

• 2 weeks later...

Diana,

When you do try a full blown oden, i would like to add this suggestion [subject to emendation by the experts on this thread]. To the chikuwa, at least please also consider adding slices from "tempura", flat, golden, fried cakes in the cooler section of the oriental grocery. They go by that name and come in several very similar types with slightly varying compositions. They should not be more than $4/lb, much cheaper than the frozen assorted fish balls also being sold as oden accessories.

So the chikuwa, tempura, potato, radish/daikon, konnyaku, maybe boiled egg, will give you a basic oden. Tempura is to be cut into slices. That combination is pretty frugal at USA prices and very good. Most of my Japanese friends love their daikon cooked very soft. I like it when it still has a bit of a crunch in it.

You can also play around with the potaoes. Idaho Russets with the skin on will give a different texture as tiny bits of their edges disintegrate off into the broth, and the skin adds its earth flavor which some relish. Then the potato cuts, wedges, quartes, etc. will themselves make a difference to mouthfeel and your enjoyment of the accompanying tidbits.

Yukon Gold with its skin on will add yet another different taste to the finished oden. Boiling potaoes yet others. So you see how small changes with the basic materials can change the final product. Something small like Korean radish [widely available, and often substituted for daikon] for daikon will slightly but measurably influence the texture and final result.

These are just an amateur's experiments with US ingredients. Shocking things like freezing konnyaku, and adding the thawed frozen slices, like koyadofu!

No doubt the experts here will have better advice for you.

gautam

• 11 years later...
On 9/1/2006 at 7:29 PM, Hiroyuki said:

@Hiroyuki  Just wanted to say thank you for posting this recipe. I am preparing for New Year's and  need  hanpen for datemaki and I cannot find it locally. I'm going to give this recipe a try today. Wish me luck!

Here are instructions on making hanpen (sorry, Japanese only)

http://www.ajiwai.com/otoko/make/hanpen.htm