• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tramontina?

fendel

I ran across a whole bunch of open-stock Tramontina tri-ply stainless steel cookware at Marshall's and TJ Maxx today. Picked up a 2-qt sauce pan and what looks like a 3-qt saute pan (12 inch diameter, I think) with lid. At $13 and $35, respectively, these were a bargain.

Once I use the pans, I can't return them--so before I do, I wanted to get people's opinions on Tramontina. The stuff looks like a dead ringer for All-Clad, which was part of the appeal (I love that look). But is it actually good?

I have a few pieces of Tramontina, which is an A-C knockoff similar to ChefMate (about which there is a long and enthusiastic thread). Tramontina and Chefmate are good pans, but I think they are of a slightly thinner construction than A-C. It's made in China and consequently goes for about 20% of A-C. And it works well and cleans up well.

If that saute pan is 12", it's probably closer to 5 qt. capacity, a good size.

You did well.

I have a made-in-Brazil Tramontina non-stick 24cm (about 9½") sauté pan that I also probably got at TJ Maxx. I like it a lot. If I ever found a 12" for $35 I'd snap it right up.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Richard, I think you're right. I pulled out my beat-up Emerilware 3-quarter and set it down next to the new Tramontina, and sure enough, the new one is bigger. I knew that puppy looked strangely large in the store. Guess I forgot they make saute pans in other sizes.

This might be the largest pan I've ever owned (I usually cook for two). I figured it would be nice to have if I needed to sear steaks for four or cook up an acre of chicken cutlets. No more batches for me. :smile:

I just cooked a ricotta dish in the new 2-qt sauce pan, no sticking or burning, seems like even heating (albeit a little faster than my All-Clad pots). I'm tempted to toss the rest of my ancient Revereware and go get some more of this stuff. It's so inexpensive that I can buy a bunch of it without my significant other launching into his usual soliloquy on "Why on earth do you need more cookware?"

My experience is also that it heats a little faster. A heat diffuser on the burner helps when I want a slow simmer.

Take a look at the ChefMate at Target, also. Especially for stockpots. Chefmate stockpot (8, 12, 16 qt.) lids have a steam vent and Tramontina lids don't. You may want to do a search for the old Chefmate thread.

Neat - thanks for posting that link. I was looking at some Tramontina roasting pans in the store, but the smallest one was just too big for one chicken, IMO. I'm sticking with the Graniteware for roasting, at least for now.

I cooked some chicken cutlets in the big saute pan last night. Still not sure what to think of it; it seemed a little unpredictable, but then, I'm not used to cooking in that big a pan. Making a pan sauce for two plates in a 12" saute pan was a little surreal. I had to keep reminding myself to tip the pan, not let the liquid disperse over that vast expanse. The chicken did almost burn--I think I had the heat too high because I wasn't confident that that little gas burner could really heat up this enormous pan.

I really like making a quick pasta sauce like Arrabiata or Puttanesca in this big saute pan because it reduces really quickly with all that surface area but the sauce doesn't get too "cooked" tasting.

I'd like to find a ten inch saute pan in the same line. Just can't have too many decent cooking tools.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, been using this stuff for almost a month now...

The saucepans are fine for boiling things, not so great for stuff that sticks--because, well, stuff sticks. More so than in my All-Clad pans.

The saute pan has hot spots, I think. I haven't had much luck with it. I gave in and ordered a 12" All Clad Ltd fry pan (what I really wanted in the first place) and I'll probably just use the Tramontina saute pan occasionally when I need a larger cooking surface.

fendel - The Tramontina is almost, but not quite as thick as the A-C, but that has not been a big problem here. Did you try coating the pan very lightly with a neutral oil? I do that even with the A-C.

The hot spot problem doesn't sound good. What happens?

Also, did you try a heat diffuser with either of these?

Hi Richard -- I did use oil in the pan (always do), but when I've cooked chicken cutlets, they don't cook evenly, and the fond tends to scorch in some spots. I'd turn down the heat, but some of the cutlets invariably aren't browned enough.

Haven't tried a heat diffuser... guess I've never had to use one of those.

My All-Clad MC2 pan, on the other hand, seems to handle searing/sauteing better.

There are two A-C knock-off designs - Tri-ply and disk bottom. Most Tramontina I have seen are tri-ply, except for a stock pot. Chefmate also has a number of pieces with the clad bottom, but I have not used them.

If you are comparing the heavier A-C to the Tramontina tr--ply, you will notice more difference than if you compare it to the SS A-C tri-ply, which is what I thought you were doing. A diffuser is just a disk of aluminum or thick enameled cast iron and cost about ten bucks. It essentially has the same effect as adding a disk to the bottom of a pan. That may be a solution if you want to continue using the sauce pan and saute pan. The

Are you using gas or electric? I found that on electric a diffuser helps a little with any hot spots. I should also say I have not used any of the A-C knock offs for sauteing, only for eggs and sauces. Minimal sticking and very easy clean-up.

If you are comparing the heavier A-C to the Tramontina tr--ply, you will notice more difference than if you compare it to the SS A-C tri-ply, which is what I thought you were doing.

I've really been getting hooked on the heavier AC stuff. The 10" MC2 skillet I bought a while back has been a joy to use.

I'm using a gas stove. Guess I'm hoping to avoid the heat diffuser thing; since I never needed one before (even for very low simmers, melting chocolate, etc) I'm reluctant to get another piece of equipment. My kitchen storage space is extremely limited. (Although that doesn't seem to stop me from buying new pieces that I can sit and ogle, like a 12" AC LTD fry pan. :biggrin:)

I'll probably still be using the saucepans regularly for boiling stuff; for stuff that sticks (pudding and the like) I have a couple AC sauciers (1 qt LTD, 2 qt MC2).