• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liver

hollywood

There used to be a Cajun restaurant in Tribeca called How's Bayou. Yeah, yeah, I know. But they served an app of deep-fried chicken livers that I still dream about -- a mountain of crunchy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside livers for only $4.95.

I used to love liver. My father would cook it with bacon and onions. Even as a kid I liked it. As I recall he used to kind of overcook it, though, so maybe it was the bacon and onions that I really liked so much.

When I was pregnant I was slightly anemic, and remember eating liver and spinach fairly often for a month or so. (Dr.s and mother's suggestion)

The few times I cooked it for my kids they barely ate it and smothered it with ketchup.

At the restaurant, I've had calves liver so rare and tender, one could cut it with a fork. Mmm - makes my mouth water thinking of it.

But, I gave up eating liver at all a couple of years ago. The idea of eating that glob of stuff that all of the poisons in the animal's body filter through just doesn't appeal to me.

I tried sweetbreads once (thymus gland). Didn't taste like much except the marsala they were cooked in. The consistency was kind of mushy and unappealing.

I know they used to eat all of those organ meats out of economic neccessity (or in some cases, maybe ritualistic ordeals - but I won't go there) now some people consider them delicacies. Others, like me, mostly say yecch. :wacko: