• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Abyssinian in Montclair/Mesob

Rail Paul

I noticed a sign for a new Abyssinian restaurant on Bloomfield Ave the other day. Adjacent to the Udupi Village, across from the Clairidge Theaters.

Not open yet.

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I saw the sign also, on a recent trip to the movies there.

I immediately became skeptical, because Abyssinia is the ancient name for Ethiopia. Are they just trying to use a more exotic word for Ethiopian cuisine, or will they be foregoing all modern conveniences such as electricity and gas cooking and using primitive cooking implements to duplicate the recipes of the ancient Abyssinians?

The photos in the window look like Ethiopian food (the flat bread called Injeera, I believe). So, we'll have to see if there is a difference between Abyssinian and Ethiopian cuisines in this case.

• 2 months later...

according to a sign in their window last weekend, this place was scheduled to open yesterday. the name unfortunately escapes me at the moment, but i think it is 'meesob.' it looks very nice--i'm going to try to check it out this weekend.

went to mesob tonight and had a delicious meal. it's located on bloomfield ave. in the site formerly occupied by saporito and grill fish. the formerly nondescript room has been transformed into a spare but warm and elegant space with a few traditional 'mesobs' (woven tables) in the front windows, and tables along the walls in the center and back of the room. when we arrived at around 9:30, several tables were full. we sat up front at a mesob (more on that later).

we started with a lentil 'salad' that was actually a puree of lentils, garlic, onions and lemon juice served with small squares of injera that had been lightly fried in butter and berbere--delicious (around $5). mesob doesn't offer combination dishes, but all meat entrees (which are priced in the mid- to high teens) are served with a choice of 2 vegetarian side dishes (there are 4 to choose from). we ordered doro wat (chicken thigh and leg in a rich berbere sauce served with a hard boiled egg), and bozena shiro (minced beef in a chickpea puree). vegetarian sides included 2 chickpea dishes (one mild, mashed with turmeric, and one a spicy puree), collard greens with onion and pepper, and a spicy split pea puree. although both entrees were described as 'hot' on the menu, i'd describe the doro wat as 'medium' and the bozena shiro as 'mild to medium.' still, i enjoyed both very much. the bozena shiro was the only dish that i'd never had before and i'd get it again although i'd ask about the heat level--if it's supposed to be a 'hot' dish then i'd like to try it that way.

i don't recall if they offered desserts--i think so, but i just had an espresso (nothing special there). the only downside to the meal was the seating--if you go, i don't recommend sitting at the mesobs because the benches are pretty uncomfortable (no cushions). i hope they fix that. but sitting there allowed me to hear many departing diners' comments to the woman who i believe was the owner; all were quite positive. looks like they are off to a good start.

We were there also around 6:30 and choose to sit at a table as the traditional seats are uncomfortable. Really enjoyed the dishes and intricate spicing. Wanted to ask you about the chicken dish. We ordered that and the menu described Doro Wat as "chicken legs and thighs marinated in lemon juice and sauteed in butter and seasoned with garlic, fresh ginger, false cardamom, black pepper, bishop's weed and red wine and simmered in key wat." It was $16.95 and we were served one chicken leg and a hard boiled egg. When I mentioned that the menu listed legs and thighs one more piece of chicken was sent out to the table. Dish was delicious but $16.95 for two chicken legs is too expensive.

Other dishes we had were:

Ayib Bemitmita--farmer's cheese mixed with butter and mitmita (hot peppers and salt) $5.50 Good but very hot served with injera coated with hot spices.

Yebeg Alecha Wat--tender pieces of lamb sauteed in butter and seasoned with onion, ginger, garlic, green pepper and tumeric $18.95 Very good lamb.

Minchet Abish--Alecha--finely chopped beef sauteed in butter, ginger, fenugreek, garlic, tumeric, white wine and shiro (pea flour) then simmered in alecha. Good but tasted like sauteed beef with spices. $16.95

Gomen--fresh collard greens sauteed with garlic, ginger, onions and green peppers-delicious

Yemeser Wat--split lentils cooked with chopped onions, olive oil, garlic, ginger, black pepper and simmered in alecha wat. Excellent.

Kik Alcha Wat--yellow split peas coked with chopped onions, olive oil, garlic, ginger, black pepper and simmered in alech wat. Another great vegetarian dish.

Shiro wat --pureed split peas coked with chopped onions, olive oil, and garlic.

There were two dessert choices that are brought in from the outside. The almond cake was too sweet and Lowell said his cappuccino was weak.

We got tired of picking up the food with the bread and found that we were filling up on the bread so we asked for forks. With three people the bill was $84 with tax and tip.

The menu is limited but the waitress told us that they will be adding more dishes.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

rosie--thanks for remembering all the names of the dishes--i didn't have a pen with me. it's funny that you say that about the doro wat because we had the same conversation this morning. i've had the dish many times and generally it is served with one leg, one thigh and one egg (and that's how it was served last night). i agree that, given the portion size (it was a pretty small thigh), that was too expensive. in fact, my immediate reaction to the menu before we were served) was that the prices were a bit higher than at some of the places i've been in NY.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I went a few months ago they did not have a liquor license and sent us around the corner or somewhere very near by for a bottle of wine. I would say you don't need a reservation--there were only 2 other tables when I went there and I've never seen it too crowded ( :sad: ). Chicken dish we had was one of the most comforting things I've eaten in a long time. Can still remember it, and it was made even that much better by the fact that you could eat with your hands (using bread, of course). Have fun and pls. report.

:smile:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

According to the Mesob Web Site,

"A bar at the center of the restaurant is a work of art unto itself, topped with translucent leather scrolls lit from within and writ with characters of the Ethiopian alphabet." WHY HAVE A BAR WITHOUT A LIQUOR LICENSE? :biggrin:

Edit: Just saw this...

Live - Ethiopian Classical Music (tentative - call to confirm the weekend of) on Nov 5 and 6 2004

Live Ethiopian Classical music would be playing on this Friday and Saturday night, this is a great opportunity to get the full cultural experience. note: schedule marked tentative since we are inviting the musician from out of state, please call to confirm, Thanks.

Thanks for bringing this place up, Tommy--I'd never heard of it! Go. And report!!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Snif...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Can anyone tell me why the price of Ethiopian food almost doubles when you cross the Hudson?

There's another place in New Brunswick that's equally as overpriced. When I lived in New York, Ethiopian food was one of the best bargains around. Not here.

Mesob is not exactly what I'd call a dive. That might contribute to the rise in price. I don't know about the places in NY, but I thought that Mesob was, on the one hand, a rather large space, and on the other hand, decorated rather nicely--wood floors, that big bar, art, etc. Also, maybe the fact that there is not that much (any?) other Ethiopian food in Montclair contributes to their higher prices. If you're in NYC competing with other restaurants serving similar food, well, you've got to lure in customers with good prices (good food is a given). I remember the food at Mesob being on the expensive side for what you get, but it's a neat experience and worth a try.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

• 1 year later...

Anyone eaten here lately? I had a terrific dinner at Makeda last night, and the two of us who are from northern NJ were lamenting the lack of Ethiopian in the area. Having read this thread, I'm certainly going to give Mesob a try, but am curious to hear some more recent reports.