• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Awesome Seattle Boba?

My co-worker came back from Seattle raving about the boba tea he got somewhere on the outskirts of Chinatown in Seattle. He said it was even good the next day when he slurped on a leftover cup of it (gross).

Has anyone ever heard of this joint? I'm a really big boba fan so I really want to know before my trip on Aug 7-11.

Joan

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Uhhhh.....what's 'boba'? :unsure:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Hi Joan! There are dozens of places that sell Bubble Tea in and around Chinatown, so it might be hard to determine where it was that your coworker bought the tea. Lucky for you, a lot of places have good tea.

Like Mamster, I have a hard time distinguishing the nuances between teas... UNLESS the Bubble Tea place uses powdered tea and juices. Those are nasty! So look for some place that uses fresh brewed chilled tea and fresh juices. If you see bottles with powder in them behind the counter, it's a safe bet that the flavor will suck.

The Uwajimaya Food Court has a decent Bubble Tea outfit. Uwajimaya is a combination massive Asian grocery store and food pavillion ... it's located in the International District, not far from Safeco Field and the new football stadium.

Here's a link to the store:

clicky here

The Bubble Tea at the Thai restaurant (not the Bubble Tea place next door) at the Great Wall Mall in Kent has some interesting flavors -- I like mango -- and they use fresh tea and juices.

Here's a link to the Great Wall Mall, a great destination about 25 minutes south of downtown Seattle:

click here now

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Uhhhh.....what's 'boba'?  :unsure:

In Taiwanese slang boba = nipple. They've cleaned it up in English and call it "bubble". Technically you're supposed to have one of those electric shakers or else people shaking it up by hand enough that it's frothy after you strain off the ice. I noticed as boba travels through n. america you don't see that so much anymore. I like the big black starch balls better then the clear ones.

regards,

trillium

I think what made it spectacular was the quality of the black tapioca pearls. He said that instead of being sticky and kind of mushy, like at some of the places here, it was kind of bouncy, but not too bouncy. Also, he just got the basic milk tea and said it was awesome.

So basically I'll be going to every place near (not in) Seattle Chinatown looking for great bubble tea (boba), unless someone knows of a real standout. If they're all good, then that's cool, I'll just go to a couple and compare them.

I'm sounding a little compulsive. Well, I figure the people on this forum would understand.

**After reading about "boba" being the slang for nipple, I have to admit, my cravings are going down a bit.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I should have known better then to bring that up, shouldn't I? I guess I think it's kind of funny to hear people call it boba cha and not know they're ordering nipple tea. For those I've scarred for life, apologies, please don't let it stop you from drinking 'em...just ignore the Beavis and Butthead peanut gallery....

regards,

trillium

FWIW, a friend claims that Pochi has the best bubble tea around. On the Ave just north of 50th (across from the saturday farmers market). There are also a number of other places on the ave.

I've had it there, find it strange. But I have nothing to compare it to.

Stranger review

They say "Pochi can be defined as the 'Bubbles of Joy'".

Edited by mb7o (log)