• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

label removal

Jesse

As mentioned previously, I am new to wine and am enjoying this consuming and vast interest. One thing that really helps me to remember wines in my recording system is to keep the label. But some of those labels are so darned stubborn or by the time the adhesive is softened, the label is just mush. How do people remove their labels? Are those “kits” worth it? Mind you, I tend to reject most wine paraphernalia as a waste of money.

About 20 years ago, California wine producers introduced "ice-proof glue" on their labels. The trend caught on with producers all over. Some French labels can still be soaked off easily. The best method I've seen recently are those clear plastic sheets that lift the top layer of the paper off the bottle. They are not terribly expensive.

Mark

I use the clear sticky label removers in my restaurant and when you paste them into a nice folding card (with logo, of course) and commemorate the occasion, people go nuts over the gesture. They are not terribly expensive adn you can get them from the IWA catalog - they also advertise a lot in wine magazines like the Spectator.

Here's the link: International Wine Accessories

Cheers!