• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onigiri

BON

ONIGIRI KITS!!!

With a mold and special plastic/nori sheets like you get in Japanese Combini Onigiri!

YAY!

Thank you so much for posting this! Rona Y. was kind enough to send me some of those special plastic/nori sheets to use in my daughter's bento, and I have had a hard time figuring out how to get them to work. The pictorial cleared this up! I will give it a go tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

Look what I bought at H-Mart in Cheltenham Pa (near Philly)

ONIGIRI KITS!!!

With a mold and special plastic/nori sheets like you get in Japanese Combini Onigiri!

YAY!

Hi GlorifiedRice:

The H-Mart at 611 & 309 in Elkins Park or is there one in Cheltenham?

Regards,

JasonZ

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Yes, the one in Elkins Park. I couldnt recall what that area was...

I recently went to Washington Ave's 3 Asian Mkts (None of those had much for the Japanese/ Korean market in them)

Im sure you will be pleasantly surprised by BOTH Hmart and Assi Plaza (Lansdale)

Lemme know...

Unfortunately I have to go back to Washington Ave soon to feed my new Nata De Coca obsessesion (they have many flavors down there)

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Yes, the one in Elkins Park. I couldnt recall what that area was...

Lemme know...

Hi G-R:

Sad news ... there are 3 H-Marts in the greater PHL area -- I went to the one on Bristol Oxford Valley Rd in Levittown (Bucks County), with a copy of the URL in your origianal posting ... they didn't have it. I called the H-Mart in Upper Darby ... they either didn't have it, or didn't recognize it from the description over the phone. I will go the one in Elkins Park tonight to see if I can find it. I will be in Upper Darby next weekend and will look for it physically as well.

You're right ... H-Mart is a definite step up in cleanliness and organization from what I'm used to on Washington St in South PHL ...

I know I can shape onigiri by hand, but I love the idea of having several molds and having an onigiri party for people not familiar with that treat (I often stop and buy onigiri at Maido in Narberth, just as a snack, when I'm there).

Regards,

JasonZ

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

The kits are in the Seaweed Aisle at HMart in Elkins Park...

BTW Hmart has green spicy Sashimi Konnyaku and Kushi Dango with sweet soy syrup, and on weekends they sometimes have a woman making fresh Kimchi. Oh and you can get convenient jars of that seaweed salad they sell at the supermarket sushi counters.

Hmart in Elkins has the best selection of Pocky et al.

Now drive on out to Assi Plaza in Lansdale and tell me what you think of that place too

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

i recently read the suggestion to try ketchup butter onigiri. about 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp ketchup per onigiri.

it was pretty good! and grilled, even better! (well, thats no surprise there)

but im kind of biased. i like ketchup fried rice and using it in various stir fry anyway....

which i try not to admit freely to people i know.

ill keep the ketchup butter onigiri a secret too.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo