• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Macelleria

Pan

A friend of mine has some paintings up in a nice group show of cityscapes of the Meat-Packing District at this attractive eatery. I went to the opening today, and did we have good food and drink for such an occasion. Whereas most art openings feature some middling cheese and crackers plus fair-to-awful wine, this one was serving excellent prosciutto with grana padana and little gougeres, and I had a pleasant, light Cabernet. I enjoyed my experience and am seriously considering going back to this place for a normal sit-down meal one of these days, as the place doesn't price me out, I think.

The only mention of having eaten anything in this restaurant is by Fat Guy in this thread: click

Has anyone else eaten there?

Michael aka "Pan"

I have, although it was a number of months ago. I'd describe it as "pleasant, but not compelling" The room and service were welcoming. We were in a group, so they suggested a menu of antipasti, pasta and then Beef Steak Florentine style. Prosciutto (and other meats) and cheeses were excellent. Pasta was good - a kind of Carbonara - but a little ordinary. The steak was huge, to the point that quantity kind of overwhelmed quality. We had the house wine and, importantly, a good time was had by all. Nevertheless, I haven't felt the desire/need to return yet. Don't know about the menu prices, but we paid about $50 pp, including drinks, wine and tips.

Thanks, Michael. If no-one else says they were excited, I'll put Macelleria on the back burner indefinitely.

Michael aka "Pan"

Macelleria serves excellent steak. The advantage of dining there is that you get a steakhouse-quality piece of meat with restaurant-quality apps and sides. The owners are super-friendly. Expect to pay what you'd pay for a meal at a top-flight steakhouse, and to get similar value foodwise but with better service and ambience.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks for giving me your take on the place, FG.

I met one of the owners, who not only is hosting the exhibition but also painted a piece on display. He was indeed friendly.

Michael aka "Pan"

I ate there a few times back in 2000, when I worked nearby. I loved the food, especially the chicken livers on soft polenta. :wub: However, back then the service ranked at the bottom of the worst I've ever had -- and NOT because I was a woman eating along; those waiters were just totally clueless with everyone. So it's great to hear from FG that the service is good now.

Macellaria opened around the same time as Chingiale -- but must be doing something much more right!

BTW, the space is really cool -- a former meat locker that still looks like one. Love the brick and massive doors.

So it's great to hear from FG that the service is good now.

My information is at least a year old, maybe older.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That may be, but if the service improved (and MichealZ said: "'pleasant, but not compelling' The room and service were welcoming."), is it that likely to have gone back to cluelessness again as before your visit?

No no. I just didn't want to mislead anyone into thinking I've dined there very recently.

Did you ever see the Meat Dress on its travels? A steak house that displays art is certainly an improvement over an art gallery that displays steak.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Did you ever see the Meat Dress on its travels? A steak house that displays art is certainly an improvement over an art gallery that displays steak.

You ain't kidding!

I haven't seen the "Meat Dress," but I doubt I'm missing anything.

Michael aka "Pan"