• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aquavit

macrosan

I was browsing Aquavit's Web Site and noticed that they serve a tasting menu that they call a Bite Menu. Tommy said he tried it and was served 14 courses! He also said it was far too much food.

Do any other restaurants in NY have similar menus? WD-50 is one. Any others?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I had my first meal at Aquavit during restaurant week of 2002 and fell in love with it then. I went back the next year too for lunch and this past december I had a great dinner there.

The food is always excellent, the service wonderful and the space is just beautiful and serene. I especially like sitting near the water fall! Don't forget to try the Artic Circle for dessert, its amazing! I m sorry I cant be more specific about other details but I had too much aquavit to drinkl;)

L

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

to clarify, i said it was "too much food". that quote was from over two years ago, but taken out of context, it sounds like a negative. it wasn't. it was fun and excessive and that's just fine by me.

hindsight, as clear as it is, i'll say that i recommend it to anyone, but you should know what to expect. i'll do it again next time at aqauvit, or anywhere that offers!

Edited by tommy (log)

to clarify, i said it was "too much food". that quote was from over two years ago, but taken out of context, it sounds like a negative. it wasn't. it was fun and excessive and that's just fine by me.

hindsight, as clear as it is, i'll say that i recommend it to anyone, but you should know what to expect. i'll do it again next time at aqauvit, or anywhere that offers!

Yikes. Sorry, Tommy.

How long does a meal like that last?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Even if no restaurant features a like option on their Web site or menu, I wonder if you could convince the kitchen to extend a tasting menu. Or are these kinds of multi-course tastings too labor intensive for a kitchen to put together on the spot?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I always wanted to go there, but always chose another place of this. My wife and I had the bite menu last May at Aquavit. Probably one of the best meals of my life. Absolutely sensational. Lot's of fish courses, the foie gras ganache which is great, and a venison last course. It was 15 courses I believe, with the 7th course being a "breather" which was a glass of Aquavit.

There was only one complaint. I told the waiter it was our anniversary, bring a candle in something. So out comes another food runner with an extra for us, and says "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

I had to turn to my wife and say "anniversary."

I always wanted to go there, but always chose another place of this. My wife and I had the bite menu last May at Aquavit. Probably one of the best meals of my life. Absolutely sensational. Lot's of fish courses, the foie gras ganache which is great, and a venison last course. It was 15 courses I believe, with the 7th course being a "breather" which was a glass of Aquavit.

There was only one complaint. I told the waiter it was our anniversary, bring a candle in something. So out comes another food runner with an extra for us, and says "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

I had to turn to my wife and say "anniversary."

:laugh: That's too bad! I hope she understood...

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

• 4 weeks later...

We were just there a couple weeks ago for lunch, and everything was wonderful, just as it had been the last time we were in NYC in April 2003. Our table started with the herring plate; two folks ordered the salmon for lunch and loved it; I had the Beef Rydberg (which was kind of fun, since I'd just made it at home in TX several weeks before and wanted to see how close mine was to Aquavit's version...). Don't remember what my husband had, but everyone loved their food, and the service was excellent as usual.

An odd alien wench