• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jose Andres' lab

Monkey

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2003May27.html

This is amazing, did anyone else see this; Jose Andres’ laboratory. Cubes of foie gras, rolled in corn nut powder, wrapped in clouds of cotton candy.

Does anyone have more info? Steve?

It seems like ordering off the tasting menu will give you a preview of the dishes come mid June. When is the lab officially open for business?

I've heard about this project before and am very excited to try it once it materializes.

Some of the items, like the mango and jicama as pasta dishes, sound like the evolution of things Cafe Atlantico already does. I wonder if some of the new dishes will make their way onto the small plate brunch menu, or if they will remain strictly at the bar.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Tom Sietsema (who wrote that piece) is doing a Q&A on eGullet starting tomorrow. Ask him about it!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm all for small dishes, but my memories of childhood don't include foie gras. Does this mean I had a deprived childhood?

Let's assume so, if only to remove all vestiges of guilt for pampering yourself with all the foie gras you can eat today. I too am just compensating for a derived childhood. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Jose is in Mexico right now, doing research for the next restaurant he and his restaurant management group is opening--an upscale Mexican-inspired restaurant in Crystal City, VA. There was another article about this in the Post recently--how Proximo was also going to open a third Jaleo there as well and how the hope was this might help to redefine the character of that Crystal City strip. On this and the lab I'm somewhat out of the loop--I've been in Bethesda-Jaleo for awhile getting their new dessert program up and running. "Arroz con leche a la moderna" anyone? I'd ask Tom to reveal what he knows about the lab and what this move might mean to Crystal City! (Remember what Jaleo opening in that derelict downtown DC spot 10 years ago helped do to that location.)

By the way, I HAD the foie gras, salty corn dust and cotton candy "lollipop" last weekend during the dim sum brunch--it was stunning, served on a wooden skewer standing upright in a small glass and was being served to the tables around me at the time that had ordered the unlimited tasting option.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

"Arroz con leche a la moderna" anyone?

Is nothing sacred anymore. :raz:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'd ask Tom to reveal what he knows about the lab and what this move might mean to Crystal City!  (Remember what Jaleo opening in that derelict downtown DC spot 10 years ago helped do to that location.)
The MCI Center and Jordan coming to town didn't hurt either.

Next time you see Jose, whisper in his ear, "3rd & H NE, 3rd & H NE, 3rd & H NE...."

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Darren, point taken but don't forget MCI Center opened in like 97--and that's maybe 5 years after the Jaleo owners rolled the dice gambling that something might happen in that (insert word here: scary, seedy, nasty) part of town.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Darren, point taken but don't forget MCI Center opened in like 97--and that's maybe 5 years after the Jaleo owners rolled the dice gambling that something might happen in that (insert word here: scary, seedy, nasty) part of town.

Absolutely. There's no doubt they went out on a limb with that location at that time. Hopefully they signed a 20+ year lease. I'm sure the rent has gone up just a tad since then. I don't know how much they are asking for those loft condos going up across the corner, but I bet they're not cheap.

MadVal, Seattle, WA