• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Angolo

Finally had the chance to try L'Angolo (1415 Porter St, just off of Broad) and my wife and I truly enjoyed it. A little converted rowhome with tables close together and a buzz of conversations (though definitely not too loud), this little gem of a place has a great atmosphere and is truly in the South Philly tradition. The owners are from the Puglia region of Italy and their cooking is said to reflect this region.

For apps, the wife and I split a pasta special of homemade ravioli filled with broccoli rape and ricotta ($15), excellent. For entrees the wife had a monkfish special ($20) that included the most tender and delicious mussels and clams I've ever had (and the fish was excellent too). I had the grilled veal chop special ($23). I almost didn't order it because I've had way too many that were overcooked and dried out with no taste. Well, this one was done perfectly medium and was tender, juicy and delicious. The bottle of Feudi Fiano di Avellino that I brought was excellent and went very well with the meal.

For dessert we split a homemade cappucino cheese cake that was very good and had coffee and espresso. Total bill (without tip) was $70 and well worth it. We will definitely return but not before trying Tre Scalini to see which is better. Finally, an Italian restaurant that serves quality food at good prices!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

• 3 years later...

It is good that they are finally getting some attention. It will always be my favorite Italian restaurant. My wife and I used often, but I don't have time to eat. It is one restaurant that I will always promote to my friends and customers. The wife does all the desserts in house. I know since their second child they are not there as much.

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me

Glad to hear they're still open for business. I know there was some speculatin that they'd closed awhile back.

I'll go back there soon, now that I know they're still there. I have never had a bad meal at L'Angolo.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We're actually celebrating my mom's birthday there next weekend. Will report back with details. I called a few weeks back and the only res I could get was 5:30pm. They seem to be doing something right! I've only been to l'Angolo once or twice but have been highly pleased with every dish. I'm looking forward to sharing the experience (along with some yummy CHairman's Selections) with my family.

We were lucky to get in at 7:30 last night as someone cancelled.

I really liked this little place. We started by sharing a plate of roasted artichokes. Done perfectly in good olive oil and garlic, little else that I could detect, perhaps a hint of lemon. Well executed and delicious. The server said as it was our first visit we should really try them and they aren't on the menu. Glad we listened to him (off topic, his cousin owns John's Roast Pork)

Next came an arugula salad with shaved reggiano for my wife which was pefectly dressed with a white balsamic vinaigrette. Tasty dressing. I got a homemade pappardelle with shrimp in a fresh roasted tomato and garlic sauce that had a nice kick to it with the addition of some pepperoncini. This was really an outstanding yet simple dish with concentrated flavors.

For entrees my wife had the sauteed chicken breasts with pancetta, rosemary and white wine. It was very good. I had the special of a good sized veal chop with serveral different mushrooms in a veal demi glace. It was great except an unusual amount of fat was present.

At this point I got a jones for that meyer lemon/greygoose vodka gelato from Capagiro when the owner stops by and talks us into having his wife's homemade desserts. He stayed at the table for over an hour talking with us, real nice guy, David. His wife is indeed a talented pastry chef. We got the arborio rice pudding and the best piece of marscapone cheesecake I've had in more than 10 years.

The place is tiny but the staff are friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. Will definately be getting back here soon. By the time I looked at my watch, our daughter's flight had landed!