• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HC 7 vs. Ron Zacapa Centenario

I am just starting to get into rums, and I would appreciate any comments on the following questions:

Between Havana Club 7 year old and Ron Zacapa Centenario, which is the better sipping rum?

For those of you that smoke cigars, what are some of your favorite rum and cigar combos?

Thank you for the replies.

RZ Centenario, hands down, served neat. You sure as hell never want to mix anything with RZ Centenario, its a terrible mixer. HC7 is primarily a mixing rum and should be cut with ice if sipped straight.

HC Anejo Reserva is better for sipping than HC7, but I still like it with ice.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You are comparing two completely different rums, and both are very good. The HC 7 is a much drier rum and has a clean and crips bite. RCZ is a much sweeter softer rum with heavy sugary flavors. I personally like both very much and wouldn't suggest one over the other. Get both.

I have recently been sipping a Cruzan Single barrel with my evening Fuente. It's more of a crisp rum with great flavor and goes will with a natural or Cameroon wrapper. I have also been enjoying Mt. Gay Sugar Cane rum.

I would suggest a heavier rum like Bacardi 7 or RCZ with a cigar like a VSG or an Opus.

I could go on and on but won't unless you wiah more of my finite wisdom. LOL

I have to agree that HC 7 is a completely different rum compared to Ron Zacapa Centenario but I have both on board and enjoy both of them at different times but like Jason that the Havana Club Anejo Reserva is a much better rum and is more in the class of the Zacapa Centenario, though the coffee and caramel flavor of that rum can be distracting.

As for cigars I just ran into the Aurora from the Dominican Republic and though I don't smoke a lot of cigars I thoroughly enjoyed this one with Brugal Extra Viejo rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...