• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matusalem Anejo 15 Anos (original Cuba)

Hi all,

I have been offered a bottle of real Cuban Matusalem 15 anos (produced in Santiago de Cuba by 'Ronera Caney').

Does anyone of you has ever heard about this rum or do you have any information about it?

The label is quite similar to the Matusalem Anejo Superior but it's black instead of white.

And my bottle of Anejo Superior was produced by 'Ronera Matusalem' and not by 'Ronera Caney'.

Any information is highly appreciated.

Unfortunetely I'm too stupid to insert a picture. But I can send it out by email if requested (just to prove that I'm really talking about the Cuban version and not the one from Frorida or Dom. Rep.)

Greetings from Brussels

Markus

The bottle you describe sounds correct. Ronera Caney is what my bottles say as well, and I can assure you of their authenticity. :biggrin:

Actually, one easy way to find out if someone has the Cuban or Dominican Matusalem is to simply ask them to describe the shape of the bottle.

If your source has more of this, I'd certainly appreciate a line on some.

Buy it; you'll love it :raz: . It goes especially well with a Cuban Davidoff Chateau Margaux (cigar).

Greetings from Texas to you, Markus!

Thank you for the info guys.

Well, then the 61 EUR I paid at ebay for the bottle seem to be a good deal :smile:

@Dennis: How did you get your bottles? I'm really surprised that you are talking about bottles as this rum is really hard to get. I never heard about this rum and I assume that your bottles are a kind of heritage and are already some years old. I think the situation for this rum is as difficult as it is for the Anejo, isn't it? And how is this rum compared to the Cuban Matusalem Anejo (if you know both rums)?

Greetings from Brussels

Markus

• 3 weeks later...

Just received a sample of the Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 anos. I presume that this is the same as being discussed.

However this one is produced and bottled in Lake Alfred (Fl).

I must say that I am a little disappointed in it. It really does not taste like a 40% spirit but more like a 25% liqueur. The 5cl sample is in a plastic bottle so am wondering whether this has been tainted in some way.

Does it always show such smoothness?

Hi ctgm,

these are two completely different rums that have nothing at all in common. From Matusalem you get the 'original' from Cuba (Matusalem Anejo Superior and Matusalem Anejo 15 anos) and the 'fake' formerly from Florida and now from Dom. Rep. (Matusalem Clasico and Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 yo.)

The real Cuban ones are really hard to get and they are not produced any more.

But you are not the only one who is mixing up these rums. It's one of the classic mistakes you hear again and again :rolleyes:

Greetings from Brussels

Markus

Hi Marcus,

How things in Brussels?

The rep. said that the goods are now made in Dom Rep but the label on the miniature says Florida. Is there a difference between the Florida bottlings and the Dominican one?

Do hope so as the Florida one has far too much caramel on it. It reminds me of a slightly stronger than normal Bailey's {oops - let the cat out of the bag there by confessing to know what Bailey's tastes like :•)}.

Presumably the reason that this is not made in Cuba is the trade embargo? {This reminds me of a great story I heard, which is totally off topic. An American admiral was giving a press conference and had a Cuban cigar in his mouth, when an alert journalist pointed out that he was smoking contraband. The admiral replied "Isn't it normal to burn your enemy's crops?"}

Hi,

Things are going well in Brussels (but I will change my job and will move to Luxemburg in 4 weeks).

Actually I only tried the Floridan Mat. and not yet the Dominican one. But I was told that the difference should not be very great (if anyone knows better please correct me).

I'm still researching about Cuban Mat. vs. American/Dominican Mat.

But as far as I know the brands have nothing to do with each other. The founder's family left Cuba some decades ago and produced Matusalem in the US. At the same time, Cuba still produced the original Cuban Matusalem. I also heard about some disputes over the brand name and maybe this was the reason why Cuba gave up the production of Cuban Mutusalem some years ago and nowadays you unfortunately only get the 'fake' one.

But as I already mentioned: I'm not very sure of the last because I heard it only from other sources and it was always said that exact and detailed information are really hard to get. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Cuban Mat. is a real myth.

However, anyone I talked to and who knows bot rums confirmed that the Cuban Mat. is by far (!!!) another class than the American one.

Greetings from Brussels

Markus

• 2 weeks later...

I have found the previous posts of interest and I would like to add the following:

The name "Ron Matusalem" is a copyrighted trademark of the Alvarez-Camp family and its successors and assigns. The company that produces the "original" Ron Matusalem Rum was founded in Santiago, Cuba, by Eduardo and Benjamin Camp in 1872. Later, after Benjamin returned to Spain, Eduardo teamed up with Evaristo Alvarez. Eduardo's son married the daughter of Evaristo and their descendants became one family. In the early 1900's the company was renamed "Alvarez Camp & Co."

The company experienced tremendous growth in the 1940's and 50's, and by the mid-50's it controlled over half the Cuban Rum market and was the best selling rum in Cuba.

Like so many family-operated businesses, it relocated along with the family after the communist take-over of the Cuban government in the late 1950's.

At one point, the Cuban government decided to confiscate and occupy the buildings of the old Alvarez-Camp Distillery at Santiago. I don't know whether the so-called "Ron Matusalem" that is produced by the Cuban government is made in the old Alvarez-Camp Distillery or not. However, to me it is a moot point. The name "Ron Matusalem," and its recipes, copyrights, trademarks, etc., BELONG to the Alvarez-Camp Family. If they chose to move their operation to Florida, the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, or Timbuktu, is their right and their business.

Surely, no one would deny that the Bacardi family and its company did not have the right to move out of Cuba to other countries. Surely, no one would call the Bacardi not made in Cuba a "fake." And yet, the Cuban government continues to use the name "Bacardi." This is an act that is unethical at best and illegal at worst. They have done the same with the name of "Havana Club Rum" which was owned by the "Jose Archabala Company, S.A." and the Archabala family. (I would advise you to see their website at delafe.com/cardenas/arechabe.htm)

The "fake" Ron Matusalem is any rum that is NOT made by the Alvarez-Camp family and its legal successors and/or assigns.

Now, it may very well be that Alvarez-Camp & Co. made a better rum in Cuba prior to the Communist takeover. Or it may be that they make a better rum today. That is a matter of opinion. I would love to find an old bottle of Ron Matusalem from before 1959. It would be truely nostalgic. I don't know if I'd want to open it before I am on my death bed.

However, the Beverage Tasting Institute just recently awarded the "Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva" (produced by Alvarez Camp & Co.) a score of 95. Only three others were awarded higher scores, and these by only one or two points. So, how much better could the old stuff be? (How much better could the Cuban fake be???)

I just had the Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva (Alvarez Camp & Co.), neat in a brandy snifter at the Five Twins Cigar Bar at the Atlantis Resort in Nassau, last week and I must say it was one of the best I've ever had.

Sincerely,

Pierre Goudeau Normand

Texas