• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ChikaLicious

Fat Guy

In today's New York Times, Pastry Chefs, Refusing to be Sweet:

Ms. Tillman and her husband do a brisk business in selling Chika’s Shortbread over the Internet, and are preparing a new spot opposite their current location on East 10th Street to open this fall: ChikaLicious Pudding, offering just three flavors of pudding.
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I've been to Room 4 Dessert twice, and have generally been impressed by what was put before me. While I've never been to Chickalicious, the above sentiment (that Room 4 Dessert has simply raised the bar on this genre) pretty much reflects my view as well. The one time I tried to eat at Chickalicious was last winter, and was met with a line snaking out the door in 30-degree weather. Frankly, the idea of waiting in line to eat dessert at a counter with 20+ people breathing down your neck is slightly ludicrous to me. While Room 4 Dessert's former space was not much better, it felt much less claustrophobic.

I've been to Room 4 Dessert twice, and have generally been impressed by what was put before me.  While I've never been to Chickalicious, the above sentiment (that Room 4 Dessert has simply raised the bar on this genre) pretty much reflects my view as well.  The one time I tried to eat at Chickalicious was last winter, and was met with a line snaking out the door in 30-degree weather.  Frankly, the idea of waiting in line to eat dessert at a counter with 20+ people breathing down your neck is slightly ludicrous to me.  While Room 4 Dessert's former space was not much better, it felt much less claustrophobic.

I don't care for desserts...and certainly not the more traditional ones at Chickalicious. but with that said, I fail to see how the proprietors of Chickalicious can be blamed for their restaurant's popularity. Room4Dessert is more interesting for its menu...but the fact that it is somewhat easier to get into (or was) doesn't, of itself, "raise the bar"

By raise the bar, I simply meant to echo Sneakeater when he said Room 4 Dessert has defined a new standard for what he (and I) expect from a dessert place in terms of how interesting the menu and how complex the execution. I don't blame the restaurant's owners for its popularity, in fact I applaud them. But I walked in there to check in with the hostess and was immediately turned off by the layout. Those customers sitting at the bar had a sea of people loitering behind them, watching them eat (and probably willing them to eat faster). It's similar to getting the seats at the end of the communal table at Momofuku Ssam on a busy night. It's a level of discomfort that I'm willing to endure for dinner, but probably not dessert.

I hope readers won't be misled by the sour grapes sentiments expressed above. Chikalicious is amazing. Tight tight food, great and very personal service in a fantastically architected space. Go there. Eat excellent dessert. Don't listen to the naysayers.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 1 month later...
I hope readers won't be misled by the sour grapes sentiments expressed above.  Chikalicious is amazing.  Tight tight food, great and very personal service in a fantastically architected space.  Go there.  Eat excellent dessert.  Don't listen to the naysayers.

Right on Ned! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Chika and Don are doing a fantastic job. Her plates are beautiful, her flavors are interesting, subtle and she's fun to watch.

• 1 year later...

Just FYI, aside from the Dessert Bar, there is also a more informal Chikalicious Dessert Club, directly across the street, which serves cheaper artisanal desserts and $8 glasses of wine and does a lot of takeout business. My girlfriend and I went last night and shared a chocolate mousse cupcake and a glass of tempranillo. I would love cupcakes if everyone made them like that. Excellent chocolate cake with delicious icing on top, and the wine pairing (the counterman's suggestion) was interesting, because the tempranillo was not the least bit sweet but had an earthy taste that did interesting things to the chocolate. That was some of the best $10.75 I've paid in some time.

Michael aka "Pan"