• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb

Jim Dixon

I love rhubarb. I hate strawberry-rhubarb pie.

I hold that if you can't take the pleasantly astringent flavor of rhubarb on its own, then don't eat it. And please don't screw it up for those of us who love it by combining it with too-sweet strawberries.

Then you use maple syrup as a sweeterner!

mmmmmm

Jim

I agree, I can't stand Strawberry-rhubarb pie either. My mother's mother's mother handed down a recipe for rhubarb pie which is the only one I'll eat.

The secret is to use lemon juice and some lemon zest along with the rhubarb. While it sounds highly acidic, the lemon juice/zest combines with the rhubarb to make an incredibly delicious combination.

I made this pie for Jean-Claude Tindillier who is considered, arguably, a world-class Classical French chef. First, his wife told me that rhubarb pie was his favorite, and secondly, Jean-Claude had never encountered combining lemon with rhubarb. He loved the pie so much, that he went into his private orchard and picked some fresh pears and made me a huge Pear Charlotte Rousse as a gift in return.

He retired to France and I still miss his outstanding cuisine.

:(

doc