• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday in DC

Cadmia

Hi all,

You seem like a knowledgeable group and so I thought I'd ask your opinion..

I have to make reservations for a birthday dinner (my birthday, how lame I have to make my own reservations! :P) for a Saturday night. Four adults and two young adults (11 & 13). The kids are pretty good but don't have the best ever restaurant manners just yet..

So where should I go? I've already been to many of the nicer places but I am up for going back if they are kid friendly.

Some ideas I'm putting around - Places I've never been to:

Little Fountain Cafe

Tosca

Courduroy

Since it's a birthday dinner, dessert selection is important - It's a shame too, because I've been to Zatinya and enjoyed it but I'll need to be making reservations past 6:30 ;/

Thanks in advance!

I haven't been to any of the places you mentioned, but I'll toss out a few more suggestions.

If you like Zaytinya and its desserts, you may want to give Jose's nuevo-Latino Cafe Atlantico a try. It has been highly praised in this forum, and takes reservations at any time. Our own Steve Klc is behind the desserts there, just like at Zaytinya.

Zola may also be a good bet. The spy-inspired decor is likely to appeal to your kids and their new chef promises lots of seasonal new American cuisine.

15ria has updated comfort food. Personally, I'm not the world's biggest fan of this genre, but those who are like the place a lot. Kids are likely to find plenty of things they will like.

At the higher end, I don't think there is any place around this area that can touch Maestro in Tysons Corner. Fabio brings Italian cooking boldly into the 21st century. It's not cheap, but unlike some of the old-guard places in that price range, you really get what you pay for.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Do you want to narrow this down a bit--in terms of what food you like, budget, what your favorite restaurants are at the moment, are you only considering DC and/or downtown restaurants?

I think much of your choice also depends on how you define "kid friendly." Which nicer places have you been with the kids and how did they handle it? What are the kids like--curious about food? do they have to get up from the table and walk around? do you think they'd like a somewhat noisy distracting background?

Personally I think any restaurant that doesn't put on the obvious quiet/stuffy/formal/pretentious airs should be good with kids 11 and 13. 1789 and Tosca are more formal--in different ways--the former in kind of a dark, clubby, old money genteel way and Tosca in a sophisticated Euro urban chic way. Both are quiet restaurants. Of the two I'd think kids might be more comfortable--and you more comfortable with your kids--in 1789. The question then becomes is the food the kind of food you'd like for this special event. Desserts there tend to be homey/rustic. Realize, too, Saturday night prime time LOTS of places will be packed, tables back up and delays might be inevitable regardless of a restaurant's reservation policy. How would your kids handle hanging in the bar? Do you want to get dressed to the nines or casual?

Not knowing your tastes or experiences around town but in the general area of your list--and in addition to those restaurants already mentioned--you might want to consider Marcels--it's a big restaurant--they could probably tuck you along a wall, are more likely to have your table ready when you arrive and there's enough noise not to give the sense it is so formal. If it's warm enough, consider their patio--good distractions for the kids. Robert is a fine chef and always has had at least pretty good desserts--very good for our area--though I haven't been back since he hired a new pastry chef.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Budget isn't too much of a concern, but I'd like to not spend more than $50 or so per person, not including alcohol.

Hmm.. My favorite restaurants right now.. I really like 2941 because it's been very good to me so far and is very close to me, but I've already taken my parents there (the kids came along too and were mostly good :> ). I also really like Equinox downtown for general good food. If I'm looking for something more ethnic, it would depend more, but I think for this occasion I'd like to stay in the safe zone of Modern/Contemporary American although something tapas style may work, too.

The kids are pretty good - They're not loud and they don't wander or anything like that. They just don't have wonderful table manners and I think somewhere overly stuffy/formal (Maestro & Citronelle come to mind) that I would be on the edge of my seat fearing they might tip a glass over ;>

Not looking to get overly dressed - Maybe nice slacks with a sweater - Nothing requiring a jacket!

Did Marcel's for a birthday dinner back in January so I would like to try something new..

Zola is something I hadn't thought of but it tends to get mixed reviews in Tom Siestama's chats - What do the readers here think?

I'm also going to read up more on Cafe Atlantico - Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Edited by Cadmia (log)

• 2 weeks later...