• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25 in Portland

thanks for the link! I've been wondering which restaurants were on the list... perhaps we should follow in our northern compadres footsteps and arrange an outing? I guess it would take calling around to see what the 25 menu looks like.

regards,

trillium

I'm down for that...my choices from the list would be either Cafe Azul, Paley's Place, Castagna, Laslow's Northwest, Serratto, or Southpark Seafood Grill.

Probably Azul or Paley's first choices. I'll volunteer to get the menus from them.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Well, none of the "there is no way in hell I'm eating at that place" restaurants on the 25 list made Jim's list so we're up for any of them (but I'd like to know what the menus are, of course). I think my list of possibilities went something like Cafe Azul, Lucere (I'm a sucker for a great pastry chef), Paley's Place, and Wildwood. They're all places I haven't tried. Southpark isn't on the list because I've been there 3 times already and love it...I thought it was time to branch out. Castagna wasn't on the list because I have a hard time going to a restaurant named chestnut...don't ask me why, I just do.

regards,

trillium

Here’s what you get for $25 at Cafe Azul.

choice of four appetizers: salad, fava bean soup, smoked tuna/avocado/bean ceviche-type thing, or chips w/assortment of salsas

ditto for 4 entrees: flank steak with lime and garlic, halibut with poblano, chile relleno w/potato, jack cheese, mushrooms, pork tamale w.salsa verde

and 1 of 3 desserts, which I didn’t write down

My descriptions probably don’t do justice to the items offered. I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, Azul is awesome. Claire Archibald was nominated again this year for a regional best chef Beard award.

I'll get Paley's next.

edited to add this:

I called and they don't have the menu worked out yet. They'll probably post it by the 30th on their citysearch site

I'm tempted by Lucere, too, altho' chef Pascal Sauton recently left after a dispute with management. I don't think it will mean a big change until they get a new exec chef...Pascal's sous chef is temporarily in charge.

Jim

Edited by Jim Dixon (log)

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Jim emailed me and bailed....he's pretty busy the rest of the month and since we were the only ones interested.... (hey...wait a minute, what does that mean?).

We're probably going to go this Sunday, you're welcome to join us or not. We're not that scary, no matter what Jim says.

down with the hegemony...

regards,

trillium

Okay, shame me back in....

I'll come, but can't do it on Sunday (Pascal Sauton benefit at Paley's and Azul is closed Sundays, too). Tuesday's also out (Chef Dan Spitz's last Family Supper at Ripe).

That only leaves Wednesday next week (Azul is also closed Mondays). Maybe we should add procrastinating to the list of the charming traits of Porlanders.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food