• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chatham Jewels

Rail Paul

Has anyone noticed the reviews of Serenade (Excellent) and Scalini Fedeli (3.5) in the papers this weekend? For folks outside the nabe, these restaurants are located about 200 feet apart in a moderately upscale town. The highly regarded Dining Room at The Short Hills Hilton is about 100 yards away, across a stream.

Online reviews aren't yet available.

Cody Kendall (Ledger) didn't care for the mob scene at Fedeli's front entrance, or the hostess who wasn't much of a host. Once through the scrum, the seared foie gras, rib venison chop, and perfect diver scallops made up for the mess. Bluberry biscotti showed up as a treat, desserts included chocolate covered praline croustillant over hazelnut dacquoise with pistachio sauce. A stack of chocolate covered phyllo sheets layered with chocolate ganache and cream competed with a chocolate tart in vanilla crust with orange.

David Corcoran (Times) was impressed with Serenade, as was Fran Schumer in a prior review. Prices are up 50% since the 1997 review, but Corcoran sees a worthy competitor to Babbo, Le Bernardin. Amuses such as black truffle potato chip, or sauteed scallops with red pepper coulis, salads such as endive with roquefort and shaved pear. Seared yellowfin in a crust of black and white sesame with bok choy and shiitake mushrooms was superative with a Condrieu from the Rhone.

Ungenerous helpings of cheese, but a superlative evening. One line which caught my attention was the last in a very complimentary phrasing: "...he presides over it with grat skill. The same can be said of James and Nancy Laird and their restaurant, a place which gleams like Tiffany's - and, like Tiffany's shows what good money can buy."

It would be very difficult to dine for less than $150 a person, but it's a very enjoyable place.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

great to hear that these two are still doing well. Moved from NJ some time ago, but always love returning to these wonderful restaurants. Has serenade changed names a few times over the years? :smile:

Edited by klinger75 (log)

great to hear that these two are still doing well. Moved from NJ some time ago, but always love returning to these wonderful restaurants. Has serenade changed names a few times over the years? :smile:

Was Townsquare in a previous life, among other names. Updated, expanded, and painted for Serenade. I don't believe the Laird were associated with any prior venture.

For history buffs, the William Pitt restaurant was across the side street until it burned in the early 1960s. It was the redevelopment of that property into an upscale village which made Townsquare.

Scalini Fedeli was a tea-house, I think.

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rail Paul,

Wasn't Dennis Foy the proprietor of Townsquare? Does he have any new ventures these days?

I believe there are several threads here chronicling the Foy brothers from Tarragon Tree days to the present. I always confuse them, so I'll let somebody else do the genealogy.

One of them has (had?) a restaurant down in Brielle. The displayed art work offended some of the neighbors, as I recall

rancho gordo

Dennis Foy's relocated from Bay Head to Point Pleasant Beach. Have not been to the new location yet but I have heard some good reviews from a few South Jersey friends...

Edited by RockADS21 (log)

A.D.S.

In his review of Serenade, Mr. Corcoran expressed a view that I share: Staff in NJ restaurants like this one is overly formal, they have not mastered the art of seeming relaxed without relaxing. Reminds me of the staff at Latour in Ridgewood as well.

I have been to Scalini twice, and was never really impressed. Serenade on the other hand seems to be on par with the review. I don't quite agree that the prices are comparable to Le Bernardin. You can have a black truffle tasting menu, 6 courses without wine for $85 or $120 with wine. A single course in NYC with some truffle grated over it can run as a $60 supplement.

Received a postcard in today's mail from Restaurant Serenade. "Asparagus Extravaganza!" The only info on the card was the date, April 15th, and the time, 7 p.m. I checked their site.* No menu provided, but it did say that there will be 5 courses and 6 wines at $120/pp. Perhaps there will be menu specifics as the date gets closer. (The card also says that they will "celebrate asparagus througout the month of April.")

* http://www.restaurantserenade.com

Received a postcard in today's mail from Restaurant Serenade.  "Asparagus Extravaganza!"  The only info on the card was the date, April 15th, and the time, 7 p.m.  I checked their site.*  No menu provided, but it did say that there will be 5 courses and 6 wines at $120/pp.  Perhaps there will be menu specifics as the date gets closer.  (The card also says that they will "celebrate asparagus througout the month of April.")

* http://www.restaurantserenade.com

Serenade did an heirloom tomato festival in September last year. Five or six different tomatoes worked into a menu with appropriate elements and wines.

I like the idea...

rancho gordo