• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ron Cacique 500

Garcia21

A coworker brought me a bottle of Ron Cacique 500 from a friend in Chile. I haven't seen this brand for sale in the U.S. anywhere I've looked so far, including the internet.

Has anyone tasted it? If so, what are your impressions?

Thanks,

Garcia21

Thanks for the link. I have seen those before. I can get the general idea of what they say.

The 3 opinions are a bit split. They also refer to another type of Cacique (Cacique Anejo is my bet) which I have not had either, so their comparisons to it mean little to me.

Salud,

Garcia21

Hello,

A colleague of mine bought Cacique 500 from Venezuela a few years ago and I asked him how it was - he seemed to hold it in high opinion, saying it is a classy, good medium-bodied rum (he said it was in the same category as Pampero Anniversario and Santa Teresa rom Antiquo Solera). So it should not be too much a disappointment, I believe.

Br,

Mika

mika.jansson@nokia.com

Cacique 500 was introduced in 1992 to celebrate the arrival of the Conquistadors in the New World. This is one of their premium rums and is still popular even in Venezuela, where there are a lot of good rums to choose from. I don't know if I'd put in the same class as Santa Teresa Antiguo de Solera 1796 but it is good rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.