• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian dishes rarely available in restaurants

anil

Suvir do you have a good recipe for Parwal? I just got a fresh bagful from a trip to Jersey and would like to make them tonite... looking for suggestions

I chaunko the parwal as I would any other veggie.

I like them cut in halves (lengthwise) and also enjoy them crispy.

Some khatai (amchur/mango powder) is delicious in this recipe.

Yes, very similar to how I make them. Last I was in India, I ate them stuffed (yes, can you believe someone would take time to stuff them) and then cooked on the tawa.. they were GOOD!

In fact stuffed ones are much easier to make.

You make your stuffed powder as you would for Bharwaan Bhindi.

I was going to say that, but then I felt why trouble you with the stuffed recipe.

Slit the parwals in the middle, stuff with a powdered mix of carom seeds, amchur, red chili powder, coriander seeds, and some fennel.

In a little oil, fry some ajwain (carom seeds) and asafetida. Now saute the parwals in this for a few minutes. Lower heat and cooked cover till they get softer. At this point, cook them on high heat till they get some color and get a little crispy.

They taste delicious.

You can also cheat and fry the slit parwals in the seasoned oil as above, and then add the powder over the parwals and saute. The spice mix goes into the parwal slit by itself, without you having to really stuff them.:rolleyes:

Monica,

Parwal is also made with potatoes.

I cut the potatoes into thick potato chips shape (think French fries that are thick enough that they do not break as you saute).

I do this so as to mirror the length of the parwal.

Again, you can use a simple masala that you like for your chukee (sauteed) sabzis (vegetables).

Add some khatai (sour ingredient), preferably amchoor (mango powder).

Some in Western India also add a very small amount of besan (chickpea flour) into the dish. This makes the parwal and potatoes get nice and crispy.

The addition of besan can be done to many different dishes. But has to be done with care. Too much can make a dish bad... too little has almost no impact.... and the besan should be added so it gets cooked.

As usual, a little carom is great, for it helps with the digestion of besan.