• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feliz Día de Independencia!

The special dish of this holiday is the Chile en Nogada.   Every family has their own recipe though the poblano, the walnut cream sauce and the pomegranate seeds are all pretty much mandatory.  

I ate 4 in a period of 6 days.  

And I gained 3 pounds. 

chilecocin.jpeg

chileelal.jpeg

chileteo.jpeg

pétalos.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 5

It looks tasty!

I'm interested in the pomegranate seeds. I've never associated pomegranates with Mexican food. Thinking about it now,  I realize that the climate should be good for them in some parts of the country at least. Are pomegranates commonly grown and eaten in Mexico, or is this a special case?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Granadas (as they are called here) are available seasonally, August thru October.  In my village there are wheelbarrow sellers of just the seeds (often set up outside my bank).  In a small plastic drinking cup with a spoon, maybe 1/2 a measured cup for 20 pesos (about 1 USD).  I like to sprinkle or sink the seeds into cheese when I serve a cold plate with paté or ham.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1