• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added ventilation note

I've been spending 6 months/year living in an RV. You can read about it (to exhaustion) in this topic: Camping, Princess Style if you wish. (I didn't start it, but I took it over around Page 3 and it's at Page 169 now.) I too like to cook and bake, and have had to made accommodations. I think of our trailer as being pretty well kitted out, but it doesn't have a stand mixer.

The trailer we had before this one had a combination convection/microwave oven; in fact, it might have been a GE Profile although I've forgotten now. I never used the microwave and convection at the same time once I realized the power requirements. I strongly suspect we were responsible for a campground electrical failure, though I'll never know for sure. I found the convection/microwave not to be very efficient. You can see that trailer and its kitchen here. In many ways I still miss that kitchen, but we traded it in 2017 for a different one here.

I personally haven't missed convection and I rarely use the microwave. That's partly because we usually boondock and I try to minimize generator usage. What is your power setup? Must you always be plugged in somewhere?

The oven is propane-powered and gets up to 500F at least. I don't know the BTU's of the burners, but there are only 3. It's a challenge to use 2 pots or skillets at the same time although I do it. I can give you specs as far as dimensions go. The oven chamber is a bit of a disappointment in that it has 3 rack slots but only 1 rack. When the Magic Chef oven in our previous trailer died I kept its racks, but they don't fit the oven in the current trailer.

To me the biggest drawback has been counter space, and I'd be reluctant to add a countertop oven to the mix for that reason. We rigged an extra counter by means of collapsible shelf supports and a Boos Block, but every time we move we have to collapse that arrangement.

I may be babbling a bit here. I'll be happy to provide dimensions and model specs later. If you have questions, ask away!

Edited to add: our microwave sits over the oven and provides a range hood of sorts. It simply recirculates the air. If I could design a dream RV kitchen, the oven and range hood would be on an outside wall so that the hood vented outside.

Smithy

Smithy

I've been spending 6 months/year living in an RV. You can read about it (to exhaustion) in this topic: Camping, Princess Style if you wish. (I didn't start it, but I took it over around Page 3 and it's at Page 169 now.) I too like to cook and bake, and have had to made accommodations. I think of our trailer as being pretty well kitted out, but it doesn't have a stand mixer.

The trailer we had before this one had a combination convection/microwave oven; in fact, it might have been a GE Profile although I've forgotten now. I never used the microwave and convection at the same time once I realized the power requirements. I strongly suspect we were responsible for a campground electrical failure, though I'll never know for sure. I found the convection/microwave not to be very efficient. You can see that trailer and its kitchen here. In many ways I still miss that kitchen, but we traded it in 2017 for a different one here.

I personally haven't missed convection and I rarely use the microwave. That's partly because we usually boondock and I try to minimize generator usage. What is your power setup? Must you always be plugged in somewhere?

The oven is propane-powered and gets up to 500F at least. I don't know the BTU's of the burners, but there are only 3. It's a challenge to use 2 pots or skillets at the same time although I do it. I can give you specs as far as dimensions go. The oven chamber is a bit of a disappointment in that it has 3 rack slots but only 1 rack. When the Magic Chef oven in our previous trailer died I kept its racks, but they don't fit the oven in the current trailer.

To me the biggest drawback has been counter space, and I'd be reluctant to add a countertop oven to the mix for that reason. We rigged an extra counter by means of collapsible shelf supports and a Boos Block, but every time we move we have to collapse that arrangement.

I may be babbling a bit here. I'll be happy to provide dimensions and model specs later. If you have questions, ask away!