• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

50 minutes ago, KennethT said:

In Beijing, we went to a very popular hot pot place, HaiDiLao, with about 900 restaurants world wide, definitely has a sesame based sauce and there is a bunch of ingredients you can mix into it at their self-serve area.  In addition  to what we made ourselves, our server made us a few of her favorite "recipes".

Yes, but Haidolao is famous for having sauces from all over China. One of their selling points. All I know is I've never been served that type of sesame sauce in Sichuan/Chongqing. And it certainly it isn't served with malatang anywhere I've seen.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. It just seems strange to me in the context of that recipe and the claim about it being the "soul of hotpot". None the recipes I've seen over the last couple of days of looking even mentions it. Most mention the sesame oil dip.

liuzhou

liuzhou

48 minutes ago, KennethT said:

In Beijing, we went to a very popular hot pot place, HaiDiLao, with about 900 restaurants world wide, definitely has a sesame based sauce and there is a bunch of ingredients you can mix into it at their self-serve area.  In addition  to what we made ourselves, our server made us a few of her favorite "recipes".

Yes, but Haidolao is famous for having sauces from all over China. One of their selling points. All I know is I've never been served that type of sesame sauce in Sichuan/Chongqing. And it certainly it isn't served with malatang anywhere I've seen.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. It just seems strange to me in the context of that recipe and the claim about it being the "soul of hotpot". None the recipes I've seem over the last couple of days of looking even mentions it. Most mention the sesame oil dip.

liuzhou

liuzhou

41 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Yes, but Haidolao is famous for having sauces from all over China. One of their selling points. All I know is I've never been served that type of sesame sauce in Sichuan/Chongqing. And it certainly isn't it isn't served with malatang anywhere I've seen.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. It just seems strange to me in the context of that recipe and the claim about it being the "soul of hotpot". None the recipes I've seem over the last couple of days of looking even mentions it. Most mention the sesame oil dip.