• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Applestroop

ElsieD

Staff note: This post and replies to it have been split from the Apple butter recipes discussion, to maintain topic focus.

There is also something called applestroop, or apple syrup.  If you're interested, I can find a Dutch recipe for you tomorrow.  It tends to have fewer spices and may be better as a glaze than apple butter.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

There is also something called applestroop, or apple syrup.  If you're interested, I can find a Dutch recipe for you tomorrow.  It tends to have fewer spices and may be better as a glaze than apple butter.

That's interesting. I did a quick check for recipes and found a few. Seems easy enough to make but it would be nice to compare them with what you come up with. Thanks so much.

... Shel

22 hours ago, Shel_B said:

That's interesting. I did a quick check for recipes and found a few. Seems easy enough to make but it would be nice to compare them with what you come up with. Thanks so much.

Haven't found anything yet but I'll keep on looking.

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Haven't found anything yet but I'll keep on looking.

@ElsieD ... Thanks for your suggestion of applestroop, something I've not heard of.  I dug up a number of recipes and techniques, and feel that I can whip up something satisfactory. Your effort is appreciated.  👍

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Thanks 1

... Shel

Here's one method for applestroop.  This requires only apples and maybe a smidgen of sugar.  Other recipes I've found call for various spices, with no consistency from one to another.  I'd be tempted to try this one, but i don't have a juicer.  Maybe in the fall I'll try it when I can buy fresh apple juice at one of our local apple orchards.

https://www.toineskitchen.com/recipes/appelstroop/

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Here's one method for applestroop.  This requires only apples and maybe a smidgen of sugar.  Other recipes I've found call for various spices, with no consistency from one to another.  I'd be tempted to try this one, but i don't have a juicer.  Maybe in the fall I'll try it when I can buy fresh apple juice at one of our local apple orchards.

https://www.toineskitchen.com/recipes/appelstroop/

Thanks, again.  I'll look at the recipe when I return from errands later this morning.

If I recall, you have a Vitamix ... Well, I, too, don't have a juicer, but I've been using my Vitamix model 5300 for making juice with excellent results.  Apart from the machine, the only thing needed is a method for straining the juice, and this is what I've been using to accomplish that:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I've been using the same bag for seven years. It's durable, of a good size, easy to clean, and free of harmful chemicals.

Apples are on my list to purchase this morning, and if I can get the kind I want, apple juice will be one of todays projects.

Thanks again!

Edited by Shel_B
spelling/typo error (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel