• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

Our penultimate dinner in San Francisco, at a place we've been to 3 or 4 times in past visits, was slated to be sold to a South Bay restaurant group a couple of years ago. When that deal fell through, in stepped the real estate agent working on the deal; living a few blocks away, loving the restaurant herself, she ended up buying the restaurant. Many of the staff remains from way before the pandemic hit; heck, we even recognized our waitress from a prior visit! Welcome to Noe Valley's spectacular La Ciccia, one of the very few Sardinian restaurants in the country. (There is a place in Miami Beach, Sardinia Enoteca (which skews more generalized Italian), but that's the extent of Sardinian places I know and have been to).

There used to be a rule to not use cameras or cell phones at the table; I believe that rule has been changed (even though I used to sneak pictures), as no one seemed to mind my snapping away. No one, that is, except my dining companions - yes, we once again met friends for dinner!

We shared a number of starters:

IMG_1768(1).thumb.jpeg.da38e22ce48b15da330699bb3bfe844a.jpeg

Classic Sardinian salad of celery and bottarga.  Funky and delicious, simply dressed. The high quality of the roe makes this dish special.

IMG_1769(1).thumb.jpeg.56f047dcc0a78576f2e8ecf24ce4e29d.jpeg

Roasted Monterey squid, with basil oil and greens. I love this dish. Each of us had a pasta, with Significant Eater having her favorite spaghetti with bottarga. I, on the other hand, had a special pasta of the day:

IMG_1771(1).thumb.jpeg.8bf5aaee0784c56da9c50ed26161259d.jpeg

A spicy, fantastic fresh pasta with Dungeness crab. Which I could possibly eat every day.

Friends split the lamb loin drizzled with Saba as their secondo:

IMG_1772(1).thumb.jpeg.76dd5cd6fcb7a72a8803683a29e0c5ae.jpeg

We shared the oven roasted whole prawns:

IMG_1775(1).thumb.jpeg.ac313c204bb2974429e4092f640d839b.jpeg

Cheese was had.  Desserts were had (gelati, panna cotta). Lots of wine, too; what can I say, we only see old friends once in a while!

And I am so glad this restaurants remains in good hands.

COMP DISCLOSURE: Dessert wines all around.

weinoo

weinoo

Our penultimate dinner in San Francisco, at a place we've been to 3 or 4 times in past visits, was slated to be sold to a South Bay restaurant group a couple of years ago. When that deal fell through, in stepped the real estate agent working on the deal; living a few blocks away, loving the restaurant herself, she ended up buying the restaurant. Many of the staff remains from way before the pandemic hit; heck, we even recognized our waitress from a prior visit! Welcome to Noe Valley's spectacular La Ciccia, one of the very few Sardinian restaurants in the country. (There is a place in Miami Beach, Sardinia Enoteca (which skews more generalized Italian), but that's the extent of Sardinian places I know and have been to).

There used to be a rule to not use cameras or cell phones at the table; I believe that rule has been changed (even though I used to sneak pictures), as no one seemed to mind my snapping away. No one, that is, except my dining companions - yes, we once again met friends for dinner!

We shared a number of starters:

IMG_1768(1).thumb.jpeg.da38e22ce48b15da330699bb3bfe844a.jpeg

Classic Sardinian salad of celery and bottarga.  Funky and delicious, simply dressed. The high quality of the roe makes this dish special.

IMG_1769(1).thumb.jpeg.56f047dcc0a78576f2e8ecf24ce4e29d.jpeg

Roasted Monterey squid, with basil oil and greens. I love this dish. Each of us had a pasta, with Significant Eater having her favorite spaghetti with bottarga. I, on the other hand, had a special pasta of the day:

IMG_1771(1).thumb.jpeg.8bf5aaee0784c56da9c50ed26161259d.jpeg

A spicy, fantastic fresh pasta with Dungeness crab. Which I could possibly eat every day.

Friends split the lamb loin drizzled with Saba as their secondo:

IMG_1772(1).thumb.jpeg.76dd5cd6fcb7a72a8803683a29e0c5ae.jpeg

We shared the oven roasted whole prawns:

IMG_1775(1).thumb.jpeg.ac313c204bb2974429e4092f640d839b.jpeg

Cheese was had.  Desserts were had (gelati, panna cotta). Lots of wine, too; what can I say, we only see old friends once in a while!

And I so glad this restaurants remains in good hands.

COMP DISCLOSURE: Dessert wines all around.