• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

The walk today is to Volcan Martin. Nice walk in the cool Canarian pine forest, away from the sun. Going up and up and up much of the route.The start is right in the small town (in another municipality) from where we catch the bus to other places. I've mentioned before, La Palma appreciates the tourists who have come to walk.

Thank you for choosing La Palma.
0n5Fk6g.jpg

Thank you for preserving this natural beauty so we can enjoy. (A feral cat already gets a head start.)
XrysbQS.jpg

It's cool and quiet in the pine forest. But make no mistake, the terrain changes all the time. Also, the long Canarian pine needles can be slippery underfoot so you must be careful.
3Vt0Q39.jpg

Almost every pine tree has a scorched trunk. As if there has been a fierce fire. Fierce enough that the char reveals how thick the barks are. Some trunks have turned into coals completely, like the kind you use for bbq'ing.
Lv3us5y.jpg

Chatted with a young Vietnamese-French outside a supermarket on a previous day about his cycling tour. He left his home town Paris in October and has been biking through Spain, Portugal, Tenerife and now La Palma. He will return to Tenerife soon and somehow must make it to Morocco. Ran into him again twice on the trail. He thought the path would be OK to bike on. Big mistake. He had to push his bike all the way. I said to him "it's the best time of your life right now. Being on own, no wife, no school, no worries. Enjoy!" People who bike on La Palma are hardcore. It's windy and crazy steep. Walking and taking the bus is enough of a challenge for us.
HFY5rbZ.jpg

Volcan Martin...
C9f3g4l.jpg

Back in town now. I like to check out what kind of seeds are for sale, wherever I go.
ytOPcsy.jpg

Just looked this up. Don't think I would enjoy eating this giant pumpkin.
7buIIGy.jpg

Traditional wine press. Still being used on this island.
7RHJGt4.jpg

Too bad about the many fruit trees in abandoned gardens.
PRTc4xe.jpg

Dark blue, light blue, and white.
PqO8Kl7.jpg

This donkey always comes running every time I pass by. I make a clicking sound with my tongue and she remembers. She makes a very loud sound whilst running towards me. Why is that? She's very sweet, lets me stroke her thick fur and then I must be on my way again. She's warm (as in temperature). I enjoy our brief encounter every day on the way to the trail or the town.
lj1q1Rb.jpg

2 new craft beer from La Isla Verde brewery.
asN1SUA.jpg

Tomato sauce with prawns and hake with pasta for golden hour dinner.
higdI5y.jpg

JwE8TY8.jpg

Thanks, @TdeV. Happy new year to you and eG members!
ywERsEA.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

The walk today is to Volcan Martin. Nice walk in the Canarian pine forest, away from the sun and cool. Going up and up and up much of the route.The start is right in the small town (in another municipality) from where we catch the bus to other places. I've mentioned before, La Palma appreciates the tourists who have come to walk.

0n5Fk6g.jpg

Thank you for preserving this natural beauty so we can enjoy. (A feral cat already gets a head start.)
XrysbQS.jpg

It's cool and quiet in the pine forest. But make no mistake, the terrain changes all the time. Also, the long Canarian pine needles can be slippery underfoot so you must be careful.
3Vt0Q39.jpg

Almost every pine tree has a scorched trunk. As if there has been a fierce fire. Fierce enough that the char reveals how thick the barks are. Some trunks have turned to coals completely, like the kind you use for bbq'ing.
Lv3us5y.jpg

Chatted with a young Vietnamese-French outside a supermarket on a previous day about his cycling tour. He left his home town Paris in October and has been biking through Spain, Portugal, Tenerife and now La Palma. He will return to Tenerife soon and somehow must make it to Morocco. Ran into him again twice on the trail. He thought the path would be OK to bike on. Big mistake. He had to push his bike all the way. I said to him "it's the best time of your life right now. Being on own, no wife, no school, no worries. Enjoy!" People who bike on La Palma are hardcore. It's windy and crazy steep. Walking and taking the bus is enough of a challenge for us.
HFY5rbZ.jpg

Volcan Martin...
C9f3g4l.jpg

Back in town now. I like to check out what kind of seeds are for sale, wherever I go.
ytOPcsy.jpg

7buIIGy.jpg

7RHJGt4.jpg

PRTc4xe.jpg

PqO8Kl7.jpg

This donkey always comes running every time I pass by. I make a clicking sound with my tongue and she remembers. She makes a very loud sound whilst running to me. Why is that? She's very sweet, lets me stroke her thick fur then I must be on my way again. She's warm (as in temperature). I enjoy our brief encounter every day on the way to the trail or the town.
lj1q1Rb.jpg

2 new craft beer from La Isla Verde brewery.
asN1SUA.jpg

Tomato sauce with prawns and hake with pasta for golden hour dinner.
higdI5y.jpg

JwE8TY8.jpg

ywERsEA.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

The walk today is to Volcan Martin. Nice walk in the Canarian pine forest, away from the sun and cool. Going up and up and up much of the route.The start is right in the small town (in another municipality) from where we catch the bus to other places. I've mentioned before, La Palma appreciates the tourists who have come to walk.

0n5Fk6g.jpg

XrysbQS.jpg

3Vt0Q39.jpg

Almost every pine tree has a scorched trunk. As if there has been a fierce fire. Fierce enough that the char reveals how thick the barks are. Some trunks have turned to coals completely, like the kind you use for bbq'ing.
Lv3us5y.jpg

HFY5rbZ.jpg

Volcan Martin...
C9f3g4l.jpg

ytOPcsy.jpg

7buIIGy.jpg

7RHJGt4.jpg

PRTc4xe.jpg

PqO8Kl7.jpg

ywERsEA.jpg