• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tinto de Verano

Norm Matthews

My sons birthday is next month and he has invited his lowrider car club.  I came across this Spanish wine cocktail/cooler/punch.  I think it sounds good for an August BBQ party. Has anyone tried it or have opinions? 

Ingredients:

750 ml bottle young & fruity red wine

750 ml lemon flavored soda or orange soda or lemonade and club soda

1 slice lemon

1 slice orange

200 ml sweet vermouth, optional

Stir just to combine.  Serve over ice.

It says a Spanish garnacha or pinot noir are good choices.  I couldn't find that Spanish wine.  I wonder if a Spanish tempranillo or old vine zinfandel would work or maybe a sweet red Italian wine?  The people who will come are all at least in their mid 30's or older.  I am guessing that the ones who might drink a wine cocktail would like it on the sweet-ish side.  I think it might appeal to the ladies.  The guys will be happy with a cooler full of beer.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

The recipe just doesn't look good to me. Equal parts of wine and soft drink sound like it would water the wine down too much. And one slice of orange and one slice of lemon just don't do it for me.

We used to make a pretty good sangria every Thanksgiving when we had about 30 people and that was the only alcoholic beverage that we served. We used one part good red wine, 1/2 part orange juice and 1/4 part lemon lime soda, like squirt or seven up. We also put in one whole sliced orange, one whole sliced lemon and one diced apple. You can add sweet vermouth or Rum to this, if you like, but we never did because we had some in our group that tended to overindulge. It's not overly sweet but people really seem to like it. With 30 people we would go through a few gallons of it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I wonder if a Spanish tempranillo or old vine zinfandel would work or maybe a sweet red Italian wine?

The recent NYT Cooking article on this drink, suggests Tempranillo as an option so it should work. They recommend a dry wine rather than sweet, which seems like a good idea to me. 

Their recipe is to pour the following over ice and garnish with a lemon wheel. 

2 oz dry red wine

¾ oz sweet vermouth (optional)

4 oz lemon-lime soda, such as La Casera, 7Up or Sprite

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The recent NYT Cooking article on this drink, suggests Tempranillo as an option so it should work. They recommend a dry wine rather than sweet, which seems like a good idea to me. 

Their recipe is to pour the following over ice and garnish with a lemon wheel. 

2 oz dry red wine

¾ oz sweet vermouth (optional)

4 oz lemon-lime soda, such as La Casera, 7Up or Sprite

Thank you. That is very helpful.

• Like 1