• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buddha Jumping Over the Wall---DDC February Dinner

herbacidal

WHERE: Lee How Fook Restaurant

219 N 11th St. (Corner of 11th and Spring Sts.) Philadelphia, PA 19106

(use rear private room) link to Yahoo Map at bottom

WHEN: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 6:30 PM arrival, 7PM first course

WHAT: Chinese Multi-Course Dinner in celebration of the Year of the Ram

WHO: Followers of Buddha, and anyone else who feels like it!

WHY: Buddha jumping over the wall is pretty special, we should celebrate it!

I suppose the Year of the Ram isn’t a bad reason to have a party either.

COST: $30 per person, inclusive of tax and tip

RSVP: RSVP to Matt Lipman---- mattylip@excite.com

Final RSVPs must be received by Thursday, February 13.

After that date, withdrawals are not acceptable.

Please be quite sure of your availability by Thursday, February 13.

Sorry for the minimal time interval.

Lee How Fook is BYOB, so bring it if ya got it!

Family Style Menu

Charcuterie of Selected Chinese Favorites

Steamed and Fried Jiaozi Dumplings

Jumbo Shrimp and Walnuts Lathered in Sweet Mayonnaise

Seafood with Bean Curd Soup

Stir Fried Snow Peas with Vermicelli and Confucius’ Hair

Lobster Stir Fried with Ginger and Scallion Staring At You

Southern Fried Chicken Playing Peek-A-Boo

Ginger and Scallion Steamed Striped Bass

Longevity Noodles

Mixed Fried Rice

Plus the Random Surprise Thrown In Here and There!!

Kudos to anyone who can figure out the significance of “Buddha jumping over the wall”!

As per our newest tradition, we will be passing around a container for a voluntary Philabundance donation at the end of the night.

Full Disclosure: Herb Lau’s family has had an ownership stake in Lee How Fook for over a year, which is actually why this dinner can be put together this easily.

Link to Lee How Fook's Yahoo Map

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

NOTE: Buddha Jumping Over the Wall will not be a dish at the dinner.

The per person price would have to be raised significantly to integrate such a dish, and that's only the reduced version as compared to the full menu.

In the original invitation, it was intended as a little bit of fun, a little bit of trivia.

Apologies for misconceptions/misinterpretations implied by its inclusion.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Buddha Jumping Over a Wall is a famous Chinese dish ("fut teew cheung", informally translated from Cantonese). It is a dish with multiple ingredients, including abalone, sea cucumber, shark's fin and fish blubber. The ingredients differ from time to time. It is braised, typically. Included often might be certain mushrooms and, from time to time, chicken.

thanks cabrales.

i've seen that page, and many others like it. most refer to the fujian / fukien soup.

cantonese cuisine has a fully developed menu of the same name.

it's supposed to last a few days or so. don't reallly know much about it otherwise.

i should clarify, i don't know exactly that the fujian version is a condensed version of the entire cantonese menu, but i would suspect that given the intermingling between the two regions (right next to each other on the southeastern coast of China), that is what the soup is. guangdong province, which is where cantonese people are from, wraps around hong kong, and fujian province is just northeast of it across from taiwan.

i would also suspect that it has just been expanded further by hotels/restaurants trying to promote themselves.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Kudos to anyone who can figure out the significance of “Buddha jumping over the wall”!

The name signifies that although the dish usually contains some meat, that Sakyamuni Buddha (erroneously regarded as vegetarian due to the 6th chapter of the Lankavatara sutra) would jump over a wall to eat it because it's irresitable.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM