• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salon Le Mesnil 1985?

tautog

Salon,like Krug Clos le Mensil is one of those wines with great staying power.

With that said, it is important that they we're held in proper conditions to ensure they'll be excellent after 17 years.

IMHO, I would consider drinking them. Osetra,gravlox and the like would be my companions.

Enjoy

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Brad S -- As you know, in Salon's case, there is delayed release. Thus, the '90 Salon has only become available within the last, say, year or so. Before the '90, the '88 was the most recent vintage, I believe. Salon only makes champagne in years that have sufficiently favorable conditions.

Salon is appropriate for many meals (depending on the dishes included). It can be paired with many dishes during a meal.

BradS, are you by chance referring to Krug Clos du Mesnil? If so, and you are comfortable doing so, would you compare it, in general to Salon Le Mesnil. I am only familiar with the 1983 Salon Blanc de Blanc le Mesnil...and very familiar with the Krug Clos du Mesnil (multiple vintages...but most recently the 1988 vintage).

Cabrales--I would appreciate your opinion too...as I know you are a "bubble fan" (as am I) :wink:

Edited by southern girl (log)

Cabrales--I would appreciate your opinion too...as I know you are a "bubble fan" (as am I)  :wink:

I have not had Krug Clos de Mesnil as frequently as I have had Salon. However, I would not disagree, based on my limited samplings of Krug Clos de Mesnil, with marcus' assessments as to the objective qualities of the two. Subjectively, I adore Salon. :raz:

marcus Posted on Feb 6 2003, 01:16 PM

Although Salon is a fine wine and has a similar style, it is seveal steps down from and not at all in the same class with Krug Clos de Mesnil.

In general I would agree but I think that there are both vintage and age variations. I believe that the 82 Krug Clos is as good as it gets and is no comparison to the Salon. In 85 I think that the Salon shows up better but the Krug still has the winning hand. In 1990 I think that he Salon is drinking better at the present time