• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

torolover

torolover

I know some recipes braise short ribs in a 350F oven, and some recipes braise in a 275F oven.

I understand that some recipes recommend 275F so the liquid and meat will cook at a lower temp.  This way the meat will stay juicier, although it will take longer to braise.

I tried braising the short ribs with veggies and water at 275F.  I checked the temp of the liquid after 1 hour, and I noticed it was about 210F!  This is almost boiling.

Is this normal?

I thought the point of cooking at 275F instead of 350F is to keep the liquid at a lower temperature than boiling.  Does 210F seems too hot?

Also some recipes ask to cover the pot with lid, some with no lid, and some with parchment paper with a hole in the middle.

I know the reason for adding the lid is to prevent the water from evaporating too much, but doesn't the lid also make the water too hot?

torolover

torolover

I recently braised some short ribs.  I know some recipes braise short ribs in a 350F oven and some recipes braise in a 275F oven.

I understand at 350f, the liquid will be at a higher temp, so it will take the ribs 2 hours or so to get them really tender.  The problem is the short ribs could get dry from the higher temp. 

At 275F the liquid will be at a lower temp, so it will take the ribs longer, maybe 3-4 hours to get them really tender.  The advantage of the lower temps is they will be moister.

I tried the 275F method.  I braising my short ribs (with veggies and water).  Once the water started to boil, I put my dutch oven into at 275F oven with no lid.

I checked the temp of the water after 1 hour, and I noticed it was about 210F!

Is this normal?

I thought the point of cooking at 275F instead of 350F is to keep the liquid at a lower temperature, but 210F seems hot?

Also some recipes ask to cover the pot with lid, some with no lid, and some with parchment paper with a hole in the middle.

I know the reason for adding the lid is to prevent the water from evaporating too much, but doesn't the lid make the water too hot?