• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

On 11/23/2020 at 7:16 AM, lindag said:

Not a culinary term but  since this is a venting thread I have to mention how much it irks me when I hear cooking show hosts say: man-aise instead of may-o-naise.

I think that is geographically cultural. But when I read your post something popped into my head (and -promptly popped out). Finally remembered. The word vinaigrette - eons ago Howard Stern did a several day I think shtick on it. He insisted it was oil and vinaigrette. I can't see the word without laughing. Of course could we just say "oil & vinegar" - remember those cruets on the restaurant table to mix your own? Heck even Subway does that right?

Edited to correct failing memory

heidih

heidih

23 hours ago, lindag said:

Not a culinary term but  since this is a venting thread I have to mention how much it irks me when I hear cooking show hosts say: man-aise instead of may-o-naise.

I think that is geographically cultural. But when I read your post something popped into my head (and -promptly popped out). Finally remembered. The word vinaigrette - eons ago Howard Stern did a several day I think shtick on it. He insisted it was "vinegarette". I can't see the word without laughing. Of course could we just say "oil & vinegar" - remember those cruets on the restaurant table to mix your own? Heck even Subway does that right?