• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

That's funny.  I remember a desert, a type of potato, maybe yam, cubed, fried and formed in tower and covered in a sticky sugar sauce that we saw locals going nuts for.  We didn't get the allure.   

Yes. A very popular dish. 反沙芋头 (fǎn shā yù tóu). It's usually taro. I don't get it, either.

Not normally served as a dessert, though. It just turns up at random with the other dishes at banquets.

529656152_candystringtaro.thumb.jpg.cfdb1a96e664aa45f088819f9b9df587.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

That's funny.  I remember a desert, a type of potato, maybe yam, cubed, fried and formed in tower and covered in a sticky sugar sauce that we saw locals going nuts for.  We didn't get the allure.   

Yes. A very popular dish. 反沙芋头 (fǎn shā yù tóu). It's usually taro. I don't get it, either.

529656152_candystringtaro.thumb.jpg.cfdb1a96e664aa45f088819f9b9df587.jpg