• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I notice that the menus list things like appetizers instead of Prima. Is that a translation thing, or have the traditional courses for an Italian dinner gone by the wayside there (or, have I misunderstood the dinner sequence altogether)?

In Italian menu, you have first antipasto, then primo or primi piatti which can be a pasta dish, rice, can be soupy or not (minestra or pastasciutta), asciutta means “dry”, then you have Secondo or Secondi piatti (Fish and meat) and contorni are always listed as a side. Dessert which can comprehend also cheese and fruit . Coffee to finish. 

Franci

Franci

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I notice that the menus list things like appetizers instead of Prima. Is that a translation thing, or have the traditional courses for an Italian dinner gone by the wayside there (or, have I misunderstood the dinner sequence altogether)?

In Italian menu, you have first antipasto, then primo o primi piatti which can be a pasta dish, rice, can be soupy or not (minestra or pastasciutta), asciutta means “dry”, then you have Secondo or Secondi piatti (Fish and meat) and contorni are always listed as a side. Dessert which can comprehend also cheese and fruit . Coffee to finish. 

Franci

Franci

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

In Italian menu, you have first antipasto, then primo o primo piatti which can be a pasta dish, rice, can be soupy or not (minestra or pastasciutta), asciutta means “dry”, then you have Secondo or Secondi piatti (Fish and meat) and contorni are always listed as a side. Dessert which can comprehend also cheese and fruit . Coffee to finish.