• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

The problem with water rooting is that the roots don't against anything and can lead to a wimpy plan

You can root in water and immediately transplant into a media just after....  or, you can root in a cube of rockwool - I do this all the time, but I don't recommend it to most people because of availability - it's more of a specialty thing, but it works great.  I think the biggest trick to rooting cuttings is to get rid of most of the leaves, leaving only a couple on the stem, keeping light stress low, and keeping the cutting in high humidity environment so it doesn't try to respire.  You don't want to stress the cutting before it can take in water and nutrient - until that time, it's basically subsisting on its reserves in the stem.

But stuff like basil usually roots so fast and easy, if you plunk it in a glass of water, you could see roots emerge by the next day - at which time you can put it in media, and the plant turns out fine.

KennethT

KennethT

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

The problem with water rooting is that the roots don't against anything and can lead to a wimpy plan

You can root in water and immediately transplant into a media just after....  or, you can root in a cube of rockwool - I do this all the time, but I don't recommend it to most people because of availability - it's more of a specialty thing, but it works great.  I think the biggest trick to rooting cuttings is to get rid of most of the leaves, leaving only a couple on the stem, and keeping light stress low.  You don't want to stress the cutting before it can take in water and nutrient - until that time, it's basically subsisting on its reserves in the stem.

But stuff like basil usually roots so fast and easy, if you plunk it in a glass of water, you could see roots emerge by the next day - at which time you can put it in media, and the plant turns out fine.