• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

I made a last minute call before going to bed that it did need more coffee. The coffee flavor smoothed out and became really nice after a few hours of refining, I assume the loss of some of the volatiles would account for that, but I wasn't convinced it was forward enough for when the chocolate is added so I dumped in another 10 grams. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake. After work tonight, I guess I'll throw some numbers in a hat and pick one at random to decide how much chocolate to add. I have a lump of the 50% I made that weighs exactly 500 grams and doesn't look like it would be too much to me for the volume of almond/coffee paste in the machine but I may start at 300 grams (the basic 1:1:1 for nuts, sugar and chocolate) and add more in stages until I'm worried about watering down the flavor too much. The goal is to get as much chocolate in as I can and it still taste like I want it to.

Edit: I think the additional coffee is going to prove to be the wrong call. It's not overpowering in the context of a coffee/chocolate combo but it's somewhat overwhelmed the almond and adding more almonds will just mean skewing the balance back towards a softer result. I added 500 grams of 50% milk chocolate and that didn't overwhelm the coffee or the almond, the almond has just taken more of a backseat to the coffee than I wanted.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

I made a last minute call before going to bed that it did need more coffee. The coffee flavor smoothed out and became really nice after a few hours of refining, I assume the loss of some of the volatiles would account for that, but I wasn't convinced it was forward enough for when the chocolate is added so I dumped in another 10 grams. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake. After work tonight, I guess I'll throw some numbers in a hat and pick one at random to decide how much chocolate to add. I have a lump of the 50% I made that weighs exactly 500 grams and doesn't look like it would be too much to me for the volume of almond/coffee paste in the machine but I may start at 300 grams (the basic 1:1:1 for nuts, sugar and chocolate) and add more in stages until I'm worried about watering down the flavor too much. The goal is to get as much chocolate in as I can and it still taste like I want it to.