• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

22 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I finally broke down and got a Premier melanger--mostly to make almond praline paste to my liking (see above in this thread for the tale of the very dark Valrhona product I tried).  I was excited to assemble the machine and clean it with some sugar, then make some paste.  But I quickly realized that reading the brief instruction manual and watching all the videos to which the manual directed me would be of no help.  I knew that the melanger had been updated, but I would think manufacturers would update their manuals, especially with such drastic changes.  Example: There is a video dedicated solely to the great care needed to adjust the scrapers so that they will do their job but not touch the walls of the melanger, but I looked in vain for the scrapers in my box.  Turns out (so I am assuming) that the scrapers don't exist in the new machine.   I spent a lot of time looking for several other parts that turned out not to be in the box--and are no longer used.  So I called the company, but no one answered and my message has not been returned.  It felt like Christmas--opening the new toy but not having the batteries to make it work and all the stores were closed.  So I searched the melangers.com site some more and finally located a video showing the revised machine and how to assemble it--except that I was left with one large part not identified and not used anywhere in the video!  So even the video was out of date.  I think I figured it out, but I don't want to wreck the machine and so will have to wait--unless someone has the new version of the melanger and can explain it to me.

Whats the large part? I'm sure I can tell you

DUH - missed the picture - yes - splash guard and roller holder. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

22 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I finally broke down and got a Premier melanger--mostly to make almond praline paste to my liking (see above in this thread for the tale of the very dark Valrhona product I tried).  I was excited to assemble the machine and clean it with some sugar, then make some paste.  But I quickly realized that reading the brief instruction manual and watching all the videos to which the manual directed me would be of no help.  I knew that the melanger had been updated, but I would think manufacturers would update their manuals, especially with such drastic changes.  Example: There is a video dedicated solely to the great care needed to adjust the scrapers so that they will do their job but not touch the walls of the melanger, but I looked in vain for the scrapers in my box.  Turns out (so I am assuming) that the scrapers don't exist in the new machine.   I spent a lot of time looking for several other parts that turned out not to be in the box--and are no longer used.  So I called the company, but no one answered and my message has not been returned.  It felt like Christmas--opening the new toy but not having the batteries to make it work and all the stores were closed.  So I searched the melangers.com site some more and finally located a video showing the revised machine and how to assemble it--except that I was left with one large part not identified and not used anywhere in the video!  So even the video was out of date.  I think I figured it out, but I don't want to wreck the machine and so will have to wait--unless someone has the new version of the melanger and can explain it to me.

Whats the large part? I'm sure I can tell you