• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

50 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

In reading the blog section of the melangers.com site, I came across instructions for making pralliné.  They call for roasting nuts, making a caramel, adding the nuts to the caramel, letting it cool, breaking it into "small pieces," then letting it mix in the melanger for two hours.  Then the recipe mentions adding something called "EZtemper silk" (never heard of that ingredient 😁).  The instructions seem much more "casual" than those discussed by users on eGullet, especially the mention of "small pieces" (as opposed to very tiny pieces or nuts starting to exude oil) and the direction to add everything all at once (contrary to what every user on eG has said).  Could a user comment on this?

Think that might be Rodney's recipe - I would suggest you grind the praline in a food processor before adding it slowly to the melanger. It does say crush the praline to small pieces (to me that would be cocoa nib size or smaller). Be prepared to apply heat with a heat gun or hair dryer if it seems to be bunging up.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

46 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

In reading the blog section of the melangers.com site, I came across instructions for making pralliné.  They call for roasting nuts, making a caramel, adding the nuts to the caramel, letting it cool, breaking it into "small pieces," then letting it mix in the melanger for two hours.  Then the recipe mentions adding something called "EZtemper silk" (never heard of that ingredient 😁).  The instructions seem much more "casual" than those discussed by users on eGullet, especially the mention of "small pieces" (as opposed to very tiny pieces or nuts starting to exude oil) and the direction to add everything all at once (contrary to what every user on eG has said).  Could a user comment on this?

Think that might be Rodney's recipe - I would suggest you grind the praline in a food processor before adding it slowly to the melanger. It does say crush the praline to small pieces.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

41 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Think that might be Rodney's recipe - I would suggest you grind the praline in a food processor before adding it slowly to the melanger.