• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DocD

DocD

On 4/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, paulraphael said:

A griddle would seem like the killer app for this, if there was a fluid that could work at the range of temperatures you'd need. Even with commercial power, it's hard to get a griddle to heat evenly and to have quick temperature recovery.

What type of griddle do you mean, panini-press type, stovetop, electric or gas countertop, or what? 

I've looked into this myself a little before, I have a love/hate relationship with my aluminum Calphalon stovetop griddle LOL The practical aspects of the engineering make it increase rapidly in cost, depending on what you require from it - this is a much more difficult range to work in compared to cooling electronics. What would people be willing to pay for a griddle that heats a lot more evenly? Even just a 1/4" sheet of plain copper 12x24" would cost $750 - and that's without handles or any particular finish, and it still wouldn't be as evenly heated as something with heat pipes. 1/2" aluminum would cost $250 and not work as well as copper. 

DocD

DocD

On 4/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, paulraphael said:

A griddle would seem like the killer app for this, if there was a fluid that could work at the range of temperatures you'd need. Even with commercial power, it's hard to get a griddle to heat evenly and to have quick temperature recovery.

What type of griddle do you mean, panini-press type, stovetop, electric or gas countertop, or what? 

I've looked into this myself a little before, I have a love/hate relationship with my aluminum Calphalon stovetop griddle LOL The practical aspects of the engineering make it increase rapidly in cost, depending on what you require from it - this is a much more difficult range to work in compared to cooling electronics. What would people be willing to pay for a griddle that heats a lot more evenly? Even just a 1/4" sheet of plain copper 12x24" would cost $750 - and that's without handles or any particular finish, and it still wouldn't be as evenly heated as something with heat pipes. 1/2" aluminum would cost $250 and not work as well as copper.