• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DocD

DocD

Easy - having someone else cook! 

I haven't tested them side by side, but I probably should, given my collection. Thermodynamically, the fins on the King Pin make sense... but a very simplistic, informal test hinted that heat didn't transfer as fast as the others. But I should cook 3 roasts to test them... 

Fun fact - the same principles help conduct heat into porous foods, too, like bread - evaporation at the hot surface then condensation at the cooler interior, whether that's a thousand small gas bubbles in bread or the interior pocket of a larger thing like a popover. It just doesn't happen as much as in the pressurized tubes in the King Pin etc. 

DocD

DocD

Easy - having someone else cook! 

I haven't tested them side by side, but I probably should, given my collectioni. Thermodynamically, the fins on the King Pin make sense... but a very simplistic, informal test hinted that heat didn't transfer as fast as the others. But I should cook 3 roasts to test them... 

Fun fact - the same principles help conduct heat into porous foods, too, like bread - evaporation at the hot surface then condensation at the cooler interior, whether that's a thousand small gas bubbles in bread or the interior pocket of a larger thing like a popover. It just doesn't happen as much as in the pressurized tubes in the King Pin etc.